Chapter 1: Bellatrix

Bellatrix flopped down into her compartment, laughing hysterically. Outside, a boy shrieked and a few others yelled. She relished in her fit of giggles as the certain boy struggled past her booth, struggling against the Trip Jinx Bellatrix had cast on him.

"So, you like seeing others struggle?" a cool voice whispered from the compartment door. Bellatrix whirled to see another boy, third-year, perhaps. He was pale-skinned with jet black hair and was unusually tall, as well as disturbingly handsome. Bellatrix squinted at him.

"This compartment is taken," she said.

"By what, your ego?" he replied. She huffed, taken aback. Who did this guy think he was? And why was he wearing that irritating smirk?

"No, for people with manners, unlike you. You should leave." The boy raised any eyebrow, but continued to smirk.

"Then you should come with me."

"Excuse me?"

"I don't believe people with manners jinx others for disrespecting their family name," he said. Bellatrix face grew hot and she huffed again. "But nobody can blame you, I guess. I'd have done the same thing." With that, he slid into the seat opposite her, still wearing his smirk, and withdrew his wand. With a quick flick, his trunk flew up and joined Bellatrix's in the overhead compartment. "Everywhere else is taken, you see." It was her turn to raise an eyebrow.

"What's your name?" she asked.

"Tom Riddle," he answered. An awkward silence. He didn't elaborate further.

"Well, I'm Bellatrix Black, of the Most Noble and Ancient-"

"House of Black," he finished quietly. "I've heard. You are all completely pure, aren't you?" For the first time since they're meeting, Bellatrix smiled and raised her chin at him. He nodded back.

"What about you? Who are your parents?" Bellatrix narrowed her eyes as he dropped his smirk. "You are a pureblood, right?" Another silence.

"I didn't know my mother or father. I'm an orphan." She opened her mouth to say something, but Tom persisted. "But I'm pureblood." Bellatrix snorted indignantly.

"How would you know, if you're an orphan?" she hissed. There was a pause

"I found out last year that Riddle was the surname of a pureblood line originating in Italy, and a man named Cassius Riddle came to his school a few years ago. I guess he's my father," replied, Tom smoothly. He leaned in suddenly, as if about to share a secret. "You know, I have a different name. One that only my closet friends use," he whispered. Bellatrix would have scoffed a reply, if it wasn't for the fact he had put on a utterly ridiculous look, capturing both her interest and attention.

"I'm not your friend," she managed bluntly. He shrugged in a mix of disregard and mischief. And, to Bellatrix's great annoyance, it was working on her. "Oh, what is it?"

"Lord Voldemort," he said grandly. Bellatrix stared for a moment, before curling her lips in, barely restraining her laughter. 

"Who in their right mind would call you Lord Mouldy-Wart?" she asked mockingly. Tom's face, which had previously been filled with such pride, was now glaring at her with indignance in his eyes.

"You wouldn't say that if you know what it meant," he snarked.

"Well, either way, I'm not calling you that," she laughed.

"You dare-"

"Wait," she interrupted before he could finish. "Are you changing your name so everyone doesn't think your a muggle-born? Are you hiding something?" His expression transformed into smugness almost as soon as the words left her mouth.

"If you want to find out, meet me the next time you find me." By this time, the Hogwarts Express had pulled up outside a station Bellatrix didn't know the name of. Before she could utter a word, Tom stood up, smirked down at her and heaved his truck of the shelf, setting off almost as so as it hit the floor, leaving a rather bewildered Bellatrix in his wake.