𝘅𝘅𝘅𝘃 | 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗿𝘂𝘁𝗵 𝘂𝗻𝘁𝗼𝗹𝗱

En başından başla

'Everyone thought Sirius killed Peter,' said Lupin, nodding. 'I believed it myself-- until I saw the map tonight. Because the Marauder's Map never lies... Peter's alive. Ron's holding him.'

Harry and Ron looked at each other and Gwen saw the silent agreement pass between them. The story made no sense whatsoever, Gwen had to agree to that, but there had to be more to it, nothing, even the buts that made sense, was adding up.

'And Darcie MacGuire?' she said sharply. 'Was she also an Animagus?'

Black's gaze darkened. He kept his eyes fixated on Scabbers, but the bitter regret and pain that passed over his face was unmissable.

'Darcie,' Lupin said quietly, 'is dead. She wasn't an Animagus. She...' he looked to Black.

'She got caught at the wrong place at the wrong time,' Black murmured. 'Peter killed her.'

'No,' Harry said. 'You did.'

Black closed his eyes for a brief second. 'As good as. I led her to Peter. She was looking for me. Darcie was the only other person who knew the truth.'

There was a brief silence, then Hermione spoke, in a trembling, would-be calm sort of voice, as though trying to will Professor Lupin to talk sensibly.

'But Professor Lupin... Scabbers can't be Pettigrew... it just can't be true, you know it can't...'

'Why can't it be true?' Lupin said calmly, as though they were simply in class.

'Because... because people would know if Peter Pettigrew had been an Animagus. We did Animagi in class with Professor McGonagall. And I looked them up when I did my homework-- the Ministry keep tabs on witches and wizards who can become animals; there's a register showing what animal they become, and there have only been seven Animagi this century, and Pettigrew's name wasn't on the list--'

Lupin laughed.

'Right again, Hermione!' he said. 'But the Ministry never knew that there used to be three unregistered Animagi running around Hogwarts.'

Hermione stared at him uncertainly. Gwen's mind continued to whir.

'Was Black's name on the list, Hermione?' she asked.

Hermione shook her head. Ron, hand clamped over Scabbers, glanced between the girls as though they were mad.

'If you're going to tell them the story, get a move on, Remus,' snarled Black, who was still staring at Scabbers. 'I've waited twelve years, I'm not going to wait much longer.'

'Alright, but you'll need to help me, Sirius,' said Lupin. 'I only know how it began--'

Lupin broke off. There had been a loud creak behind him. The bedroom door had opened of its own accord. All six of them stared at it, then Lupin strode toward it and looked out onto the landing.

'No one there...'

'This place is haunted!' said Ron.

'It's not,' Lupin said, still looking at the door in a puzzled way. 'The Shrieking Shack was never haunted... the screams and howls the villagers heard were made by me.' He pushed his greying hair out of his eyes and thought for a moment. 'That's where all of this starts-- with my becoming a werewolf. None of this could have happened if I hadn't been bitten... and if I hadn't been so foolhardy...'

He looked tired and sad. Ron started to interrupt, but Hermione shushed him, watching Lupin very intently.

'I was a very small boy when I received the bite. My parents tried everything, but in those days there was no cure. The potion I've been taking is a very recent rediscovery. It makes me safe, you see. As long as I take it in the week preceding the full moon, I keep my mind when I transform... I am able to curl up in my office, a harmless wolf, and wait for the moon to wane again.'