"Why would Elijah withdraw from the tracks?" Florence muttered, "He knows what Kimber's capable of, we had a run in with him at the races."

"Elijah told me about that," George groaned as he rested his hand on his abdomen, "Is he here?"

"He's working at the brewery," Florence told him, "Should I call him?"

"Probably," George sighed, "They might come for him next."

"Alright, there's a phone in the hallway," Florence explained, fearing the worst, knowing how erratic Kimber could be as she feared for her husband's safety, "One of the maids is bringing some cloth to clean your wounds, so play nice."

"I'm always nice," George smirked as he took another sip of whiskey.

"Less of that," Florence huffed as she took the bottle from his hand, "It's too early and you don't need a sore head as well as sore ribs in the morning."

"Yes, boss," George saluted her before she left the room.

Florence promptly dialled the number of the control room to be put through to Elijah's office at the brewery, waiting to hear his familiar and reassuring voice.

"Harrington Breweries, Elijah Harrington speaking," Elijah answered calmly, immediately putting Florence at ease.

"Elijah," Florence sighed with relief, "Is now a bad time?"

"I'm just in a meeting, darling," Elijah answered, clearly playing the role of doting husband for whoever he was in the room with, "Is it urgent? Is it the baby?"

"It's George," Florence sighed, resting her hand against her head, "Kimber's boys have done him over."

"What? Why?" Elijah answered, panicked by the revelation as he gestured for the men in the meeting to leave the room.

"They said you plan to remove your business from the tracks," Florence explained.

"I'm coming straight home, alright?" Elijah told her, suddenly sounding on edge, "Don't let anyone into the house until I'm back, stay with my brother, do you still have that revolver from the night at the Garrison?"

"It's at home in Small Heath," Florence sighed in fear, "You don't think they'll come here, do you?"

"I doubt it, but when it comes to you and the baby I won't take any chances," Elijah told her, "I will be home as soon as I can, alright?"

"I'll see you soon," Florence whispered, "Stay safe."

"You too." Elijah answered before ending the call.

Florence rushed back to the drawing room to see Marie sitting beside George on the sofa, looking a bit too comfortable in her presence for someone who was newly married, "Marie, would you tell the rest of the staff not to let anyone in the house, please?"

"Is something wrong?" She asked, placing the bowl of warm water on the side table.

"We don't know yet," Florence replied, glancing at George, "We're waiting out."

"Okay," Marie nodded, "I'll tell the others."

"Thank you, Marie," Florence smiled as the maid ran out of the room.

"Is he coming?" George asked.

"Yeah," Florence nodded as she sat beside him, "I doubt they'd try anything here, I think he'll just want to ask you what happened."

"You forget that you're his wife and you're pregnant with his child, he'll be wanting to keep you safe," George assured her as she picked up the bowl of water and dipped some of the cloth into it before beginning to dab at the dried blood on George's face.