Twenty-Three: Last Christmas

Start from the beginning

He kneeled too, eyeing her face as she saw each ornament. Some were big and some were small. Flashy, bright and shiny. And others were clearly homemade. The homemade ones were taken out and sat on the ground after she stopped to catch her breath.

Prince said nothing. He didn't have too. As she flipped over each piece, her eyes filled with curiosity and wonder as if she had discovered a piece of Prince she hadn't yet met. They were all of his ornaments from childhood.

"W..why are um..why are..not at Paisley Park?" She finally asked, not knowing she'd missed a word. "D..Don't you um, decorate?"

Prince smiled. "Other people do it for me. But these aren't at Paisley because it isn't my home. These are special things that I hold dear to my heart."

"Y..You shouldn't have people decorate for you amante," His fiancée said. "That's..Christmas is about being with um..being with who you love. It..it isn't flashy things."

"I know. But guess what?" Prince said, whispering quietly as he took an ornament off the floor. "This Christmas is very special to me because for the first time in my life, I have the chance to do things my way. The right way. And I thank God every day that he's given me the opportunity to love someone as special as you and that I get to experience what life and love truly are about."

The young woman stared up at the tree, which glistened in white lights and hung a single ornament at the very bottom, her shaking hand fixed it on the branch so it wouldn't fall.

"Can we um..decorate it together?" She asked. "Please?"

Prince smiled wide and nodded, not realizing that his eyes were watering again. "I'd love that. Do you want them all or just these ones?"

His fiancée's head turned and her expression gave away the fact that she didn't understand what he was referring to. Instead of drawing attention to the fact that his heart broke, the legend held her cheeks and kissed her.

"You want the homemade ornaments or the ugly ones?" He said, sitting her against him and dragging the box so they could both reach inside. His head nuzzled into her neck. "I vote the sentimental ones.."

The woman agreed and smiled. "W..why is the box over here? T..these were the only ones."

"Because you didn't dig enough. There's lots in there." He said, slowly guiding her hands towards the very bottom of the tree once a homemade reindeer was in her grasp. His hold never left as they both took turns with the ornaments until the bottom was completely filled.

"How are we going to get..up there to do the rest?"

They'd spent almost two hours on the bottom. She kept having to stop and Prince was gentle with his words as he told her they didn't have to continue. But she was determined to finish.

Prince stood and grabbed a handful of more ornaments before he whispered in her ear. "Like this.."

Picking her up under the knees, he held her close and handed off each ornament. Moving around to get all sections and raising on his toes so she could place them higher.

Eventually, the box was empty and instead of putting her down, he danced holding her body, mumbling song lyrics in her ear. It was a core memory. One he'd remember when he missed her.