Hope knew what was coming, and stood off her bed, grabbing onto her friend's upper arms gently. "You're going to be fine, Ruth."

"I don't know, Hope. You know I don't like huge crowds," she replied.

The dark-haired nurse sighed. "Do you want to see Bucky? Yes or no?"

"Yes," Ruth nodded within a split second. "Very much."

A satisfied grin worked its way onto Hope's lips as she spoke. "There's your answer."

She pulled Ruth into a tight hug, her own excitement showing through. "What are we going to wear?"

✪ ✈︎ ✪ ✈︎ ✪ ✈︎ ✪

Saturday, July 17th: Thorpe Abbotts AAF Base, Norwich

Hotshot,

You sure are one for flattery, Johnny, but as I'm writing this, I can't stop myself from smiling like a child. You're lucky you're cute, because otherwise, I might find you a little forward...but don't worry, it's not a bad thing. I'm very glad to hear that you're still up there flying. Luckily, Hope and I haven't had to go on many runs the past few days with the terrible weather, so we've been keeping busy on the base. As the days went by, I was beginning to wonder if you were going to write me. I'm so glad you did.

Hope and I would love to attend the dance next Saturday. I'm not usually one for big parties, so you should feel special knowing that I wouldn't go to such a dance with just anybody. I've also heard that you're one for dancing, so maybe you could teach me some of your moves? I do expect you to be on your best behavior, Major, just as you promised me before...on Buck's "boy scout honor."

I have thought of you often in the past week, and every time I hear the roar of a Fort flying over Berkshire, my mind goes back to that day in the infirmary and the moment we shared. I would very much like to get to know more about you: where you're from, where you got that ridiculous jacket...among other things. I can't wait to talk more when we see each other again.

Until Saturday,

Ruth Morgan

P.S. Don't worry, I promise Frank won't be there to keep interrupting our...conversations.

"I told ya she liked me," John grinned as he lay on his bed, holding the letter above him. "Told ya, Buck."

Gale rolled his eyes, looking over at his friend from his bed, which sat across the aisle of the officer's hut. "I never said she didn't."

Sitting up against the wall, Bucky pointed at him. "I've got to show her my singing skills at the dance."

The hut instantly broke out in complaints, each man having already heard the Major's singing voice. "Please, Bucky," Curt called out. "Spare the girl some embarrassment. She's already going as your date. That's enough right there."

Buck tried to withhold a laugh but failed, earning him a glare from John. "Laugh it up, Buck. You're just gonna have to watch Ruth and I have fun while you sit in the corner with Hope. Does she know you don't like to have fun?"

"Wait. My sister Hope?" Hugh piped up from the corner.

"Oh, two can play at that game, Bucky," Gale scoffed, choosing to ignore Hugh. "I'm gonna be the one sitting your crazy ass down when you start to act up. I can't let you scare Ruth off before she gets the chance to know you."

Narrowing his eyes playfully, Egan nodded and put down the letter. "I appreciate the vote of confidence, Buck."

"Now wait a minute," Hugh interrupted, his brows furrowed as he pointed to the two majors. "You two are taking Hope and Ruth to the Officers' Club dance?"