-7-

by now, they've been in this tent for far too long

by now, they've been in this tent for far too long. the tent was littered with discarded moisture consisting mainly of sweat and tears.

paul, still holding on to the ring, gently slides the delicate heirloom onto his pointer finger.

then, the atreides beacon begins to beep, signaling someone is nearby.

"here mili, you need to drink this." paul says handing mili the collected tent water.

as she drank, her face scrunched up in disgust. "sweat and tears." he informs the girl.

"alright let's get out of here." he says, grabbing the sand compactor.

he holds the compactor up to the wall of the tent, making the sand above them move around them.

as paul and mili climb out he notices the same desert mouse he was studying no less than a few days ago.

mili pokes her head in, "muad'ib is what we fremen call it. very noble creatures." she says. he just smiles at her, unable to look away from her beauty.

as they climb out an ornithopter flies over them before turning around and stopping "it's duncan." mili says.

the thopter lowers to the ground and duncan comes running out.

"my lady, mili, paul." he says

"your father i'm sorry-" he begins

"we know." paul says sadly.

"my lord duke." duncan says getting on his knees and holding paul's hand to his head

-

paul, jessica, mili, duncan, and liet all sit in the ornithopter. the remaining few of house atreides.

"drink this." liet says, giving them a small bottle of liquid.

"harkonnens hit every population center on the planet at once. there has to have been ten legions. hundreds of ships. there were sardaukar with them. at least two battalions." duncan says to the group.

"what? are you sure?" jessica asks in shock.

"you cross swords with a sardaukar, you know it." duncan replies.

"so the emperors taken a side." jessica says looking at liet and mili.

"what do the judges of change have to say?" jessica asks them.

"lady jessica, i am on your side in this. i have no affiliation with the emperor. my allegiance lies with the atreides." mili says sitting leg to leg with paul.

"and what says liet?" jessica sternly says.

"the emperor forbids me from saying anything." she says.

"and yet you risk your life to save us." paul says looking at liet.

liet just looks down.

-