"So what do you know?" Polly gritted through her teeth.

Madeline's heart pounding quickly and her chest heaved up and down. "I know they push the glass— the man, it's her cousin, he pushes the glass. It's a trick!" She stuttered, scared that Polly was going to hurt her. "They tell you what you already believe. They set up after the war because of all the widows. Polly, i just thought you should know."

Polly got in her face. "And in this fucking wash house, did they tell you why I went there?" Polly asked.

Madeline stared at her and the strange feeling of fear left her. Polly pulled a small knife and held it to Madeline's face. But a small grin appeared across Maddie's features.

"You tell a soul in this family and I swear I will cut you." Polly threatened.

"I don't need a knife to stop me telling secrets given in confidence. It is a matter of honour." Madeline leaned forward, testing Polly. But she withdrew the knife and walked away.

Madeline wasn't going to let anybody do such a thing to her. No way. She wasn't a coward, no. A coward was the last thing she was.

-

Tommy walked slightly ahead of his two brothers as they approached the Eden Club. He stopped at the door and pulled out some money, shoving it into the hand of the doorman and nodding.

"Much obliged." Arthur said, taking his hat off. They all walked inside, music playing loudly. "It is a fucking freak show!" Arthur shouted, looking around. "What the fuck is that racket?"

"It's what they call music these days Arthur." Tommy said as if it were obvious to a man like Arthur.

"Music?" he scoffed. John watched one of the servers as she walked past, his eyes following her, a grin displayed on his face.

"Ey—" Tommy shouted, interrupting two people who were eating each others faces. "Put it away!" he demanded. The girl quickly removed her hand from underneath the table and looked at Tommy with wide eyes. "Fuck off!" Arthur shouted, making them jump.

The two rushed away from the table and Tommy sat down.

"Look at this spot, eh?" John laughed, looking around. "It alright isn't it." Tommy replied proudly.

"Fucking hell, i recognise a few of these lads." John told them, "Sabini's cousin over there." Arthur shouted over the music.

"That's right Arthur, this is Sabini's club." Tommy shouted back. "Jesus Christ—" John whispered. "Everybody here is a fucking face."

"Just the lieutenants John, no sign of the officers." Tommy assured him.

But a face they hadn't seen yet was the face of the one Lee boy John they weren't particularly fond of. Theodore Lee— Madeline's younger brother who was now almost sixteen.

Men approached the table, placing a hand on Arthurs back. "Gentlemen, there's been a mistake, you're gonna have to leave."

Arthur looked at the hand on his shoulder and raised his eyebrows.

"We just bought a fuckin bottle—" John told them angrily. "Some of the men here recognise you from the racetrack in the North." The man in the suit said. "Yeah, we get that a lot." Arthur told them.

"They say you have no business coming south of the line without prior agreement." The man added.

"And what line would that be my friend?" Tommy asked. "They say this is provocation." the man said. "Right well you tell them, we're on holiday." Tommy raised a glass.