7. Our first mission

The next day, I woke up early, to attend Chise with the gardening. She said that there are a few plants that need to be watered in the morning. Elias, the sleepyhead, would forget it anyway, he slept in till afternoon.

At that time, a priest arrived at the main door, only to get the door smacked into his face. "Welcome as always I see" he said, while he coughed loud. I welcomed the man, asking him of what he wanted, until Chise stood beside me. He seems to be pleased to see her "Ah Chise, long time no see. Who is this beauty beside you?" while he nodded towards me. "This is N/A, she stays with us for the time being" she said smiling at me. "Oho, the mighty Elias has a heart for girls eh?" he joked, as a growling voice interrupted us. "Die" it was Elias. "Finally awake I see, take the girls for an example, awake in the morning taking care of the garden, while you sleep in... you should be ashamed." "If that is all you have to say, I suggest you take your leave" Elias wasn't in the mood to argue, since he just woke up, but the priest didn't go away "I have a mission for you to attend."

The next day, we were on the train, heading to our destination. Somewhere in Scotland, was a fire fairy causing trouble, burning down forests near the villages. Humans and fairies are all in danger because of it. Elias was told to put an end to this, as the church cannot handle things that require the power of a mage.

We stayed in a nearby village, as we watched the flames turning the scenery into a sight of hellfire. Elias assumed that it is just a small fairy that is making this mess. "Couldn't snow bugs help here?" asked Chise her teacher. "If there were some here, this is not the season for them. We have to handle it ourselves" he said, telling us all to following him close behind.

Ruth was with us, hiding in the shadows from Chise, as we both stood beside the mage, watching the flames come closer. Once we were in reach, we were all in shock, even Elias jaw dropped. "Fire bugs?" he said out loud. "Could anyone explain them to me please?" I asked, even though this isn't the right time for it. Thankfully Chise told me fast "An ice bug takes the heat of others to feed on, a fire bug feeds on dew and turns it into flames." "Why do does creatures exist?" I asked the mage. "I don't know, but if we don't stop them, they might turn the villages into ashes soon" I didn't like the sound if this. He gave us the order to find the fairy that has been spotted in this area, while keeping our distance to the fire. With a nod, we all parted ways from there.

I counted about five fire bugs in sight, making small flames wherever they land on. I don't think Elias had to tell us to stay away from them; it would be suicidal if we didn't. But as we all returned back to the same spot we departed, Elias gave us the bad news. "We can't find that fairy and there are about ten fire bugs, this is bad." It got worse, as Chise didn't turn up. Before I could say anything, he told me to stay where I was, while he headed in her direction she had left us.

"How can we stop it?" I questioned myself, hoping to get an answer, but...nothing.

Woooshhhhh!!!!

I shivered, pulling my jacket tighter around me, still thinking.

Woooooooshhhhh!!!!

I took my scarf and wrapped it around my neck. I know that this season is quite cold...but not this cold.

Woooooooosh!!!!!!!!

"Who's there?!" I yelled, feeling something touching me. It felt like hands brush over my arms. If I closed my eyes a little, I could see figures dancing around. But as I closed my eyes...I was able to hear them. "A blessed child!" said one. "Dance with us!" said another. "A gift of a goddess is here" and another, so there are three so far. While my eyes were still closed, I asked them "Who are you? What are you?" I could hear them giggle, as they came near me, dancing around me. "We are Sylphs, also known as air spirits" said the one behind me. "We love to dance on the hills, as the wind blows in a steady rhythm through the grass, making lovely music", comes the voice from beside me, holding my arm. "We need the air to dance, but the fire steals it from us, as smoke takes over the land" the last one in front of me gave me an idea. "You said you are air spirits?" they replied to me in a sing song voice "yes, blessed child." "Will you lend me your power to find the fire fairy?" I asked them. It was silent for a moment. "What will we get in return?" the all asked. "What is it you want?" silence came back. I heard them discussing something until one spoke up "We all give you enough power to blow away everything you desire, but...we want three things of you..." she began, standing behind me, whispering into my ear "one, a bit of your lovely blonde hair...two, you sing for us...and three, you have to dance with us...are you accepting them?"

I did, holding out my hand "Yes, I will!" In a matter of seconds was able to master the power of air. I was able to blow myself of the ground, flying towards Chise's destination. They were trapped in a circle of fire, by fire bugs.

Woooooosh!!!!

I killed the fire, freeing them. Elias didn't ask any questions about my powers; instead he gave us orders "Okay, we might have a chance with that. N/A blows the fire bug into my direction. Chise, use your staff to produce rain." We did what he asked of us. With a few blows, they were all heading towards Elias, as he used his thorns to trap them into a massive net. As Chise made a huge dark cloud, suffocating the fire, she spotted the fire fairy nearby.

He told us, that he had a tantrum and wasn't able to control himself anymore. Chise gave him her ring she got from Angelica, to prevent him to get out of control again. He thanked us, before leaving the place. It didn't take long as other neighbors of fairies started to regenerate the forest.

At the same time, my powers have left me. I felt weak and collapsed onto the floor. Elias picked me up and was about to leave this place, as I tucked on to his coat. "I have promised the air spirits something, I can't leave just yet" I coughed up blood, Chise got worried. While my sight became blurry I could hear them discuss something. It didn't take long though, as my sight went black.

....a voice

...someone is singing

....it wasn't me so...who was singing there?

I opened my eyes to see Elias. I sat in his lab wrapped in his coat, as Ruth stood nearby singing a song. I could hear the sound of familiar giggle in the distance, as I looked into that direction; I was able to see Chise, dancing with the spirits. "The Sylphs didn't mind if anyone else did it for you, they accepted that you weren't able to sing and dance just now" said Elias, watching Chise getting dragged around by the air spirits.

"I am glad" I said, before sleep took over my body.