𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐅𝐈𝐕𝐄

Start from the beginning

MaoMao's eyes narrowed at her— her eyes slanting into a cat-like expression. With a sigh, she turned around and began to organize the herbs on the table. If Da Ji didn't like her, so be it.

That cursed eunuch was already enough of a headache, but to add on the Graceful Consort as well as her maid? She could already feel a migraine coming.

The apothecary glanced over once more to see what the maid-in-waiting was up to and noticed how her blonde hair parted slightly from her forehead. It revealed darker strands below, much darker. As in black— just like her consort's.

Hmm.. I should keep to myself.

MaoMao sighed to herself before eventually deciding that it wasn't worth losing her life if the Graceful Consort found out about her maid-in-waiting's hair showing and her not saying anything about it.

"There's glue in the top right cupboard in the hallway," the greenette muttered, "Do with it as you will."

She noticed the maid's eyes widen as she turned around in shock to hide her face. She then cursed something lightly under her breath before proceeding to leave the room.

By this point, MaoMao just shook her head at her standoffish nature and went to stir her pot of tea. As she did, she noticed something interesting about the tea.

"Earl Grey Tea," she whispered aloud, continuing to stir the tea, "A foreign brand, huh?"

When the greenette heard the footsteps return, she went back to her duties as though nothing ever happened, taking note of the subtle change in the maid's expression. It seemed Da Ji was less hostile towards her— that was a start.

MaoMao simply shook her head and finished her duties before letting Da Ji know she was ready to leave. The blonde nodded and poured the tea into a teapot, taking it with her as the two went to meet up with their superiors.

-ˋˏ ༻❁༺ ˎˊ-

"There has been a shortage?"

The blonde maid nodded in response, pouring her lady a cup of warm tea.

"Yes," Da Ji answered, "So you must be careful, others will not take it lightly if you're found wearing it."

Suyin let out a soft sigh before looking down at her hand at the spot where he had last touched it. Her cheeks grew hot at the memory only for her nose to scrunch in disgust when she was handed the tea.

"Well it's not an issue," the silver-eyed woman shrugged, glancing over at the veil on her night stand, "Nobody will find out."

The maid bowed her head and swiftly exited the room, leaving the consort to herself.

Suyin felt her dizziness return to her, her vision of the room blurring slightly. She sat the cup down and began to rub her head with her hand to her stomach. Her illness must've been acting up again, perhaps she had spent too much time in the sun.

She looked at her reflection in the mirror, her lips falling into a line as she wiped away the powder to reveal the dark hues under her eyes and her cheekbones— that of which were much more prominent than she remembered them to be.

The Graceful Consort pushed herself from her seat, watching herself in the reflection as she began to braid her black strands. She then watched as the fabric of her dark tangzhuang fell beside her legs, enough to allow movements with ease.

Suyin then swiftly exited through her window, leaving a single lantern on to prevent any unwanted visitors from simply sneaking in. She could feel the cool breeze hit her face as she moved under the shadows of the night.