𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐎𝐍𝐄

THE MORNING SUN ROSE, illuminating the faces of the many female workers in the Jade Pavillion

"MaoMao!" a high-pitched voice announced excitedly, bumping her friend's shoulder, "Have you heard? Have you heard?!"

A girl with dark green hair continued to lay the damp sheets on the clothing lines, but lightly shook her head in reply. The action let the excited girl know to continue.

"I heard there's a new consort coming!" she smiled brightly, "They say she's really beautiful and kind. I'm sure the Emperor will take an interest in her!"

"A new consort?" MaoMao muttered, looking down at some wildflowers growing between the crevices of the pebbled ground.

"Mhm! But I've heard some strange rumors about her," her friend whispered, "She won't stay in the Jade Pavillion like the rest of the consorts."

MaoMao looked curiously at her friend, hand instinctively going to her chin as she listened, this time more intently.

"She won't?"

"Nope! Isn't it weird?"

"Yeah.."

-ˋˏ ༻❁༺ ˎˊ-

"Lady Gyokuyou," a young lady with brown hair whispered, "A letter for you has arrived."

The woman, Gyokuyou, nodded in reply, the gold hairpins in her red hair clinking against one another as she lifted the seal of the envelope.

Her head lady-in-waiting, Hongniang, glanced over her consort's shoulder, curious as to what the contents of the letters were. To her surprise, her lady began to giggle to herself.

"Lady Gyokuyou..?"

The red-haired consort turned over her shoulder to Hongniang with a bright smile on her face.

"Our troublemaker has returned to the palace."

"You don't mean..."

"Though I believe it would be rude to call her that now," Gyokuyou laughed lightly, "We must welcome our new consort."

"Lady Suyin, the Graceful Consort."

-ˋˏ ༻❁༺ ˎˊ-

"Master Jinshi."

The dark purple-haired male looked up from his desk with a disinterested gaze, the incessant tapping of his pen indicating his boredom.

"What is it, Gaoshun?"

His head assistant sighed as he placed the letter he had received onto his master's desk.

"You should finish your duties up soon," Gaoshun advised, crossing his arms.

"What difference does it make?" his master murmured to himself before taking notice of the piece of paper, "A letter?"