What Did You Expect To Happen?

Start from the beginning

I made Steve sit on the bed before moving to grab some bandages for him. Then walk back into the room to find him smoking.

"You want?" Steve asks, holding a cigarette up for me.

"Sure."

I sit down beside Steve, letting him put the cigarette in my mouth and lighting it with his own. My hand comes up to grab his face and inspect the damage.

I feel my cheeks heat up.

I pull away and start tending to his wounds like nothing was wrong. I start to berate him like I normally do when he's being stupid.

"I don't know why you ever think it's a good idea to start fights with people twice your size. You know you won't win, so why bother?" I ask. "You're always acting like you have something to prove."

"And? What if I do have something to prove?"

"What would you be able to prove? Seriously, Steve, I don't get it. You pick a fight, get your ass beat, and for what? What do you expect to happen?"

"Does it matter?"

"Yes! It does! You're getting yourself hurt over and over. That's not normal or okay. You've gotten really lucky so far because some of those guys could actually kill you," I point out, giving Steve a worried look.

He only narrows his eyes and frowns. Then he pulls away when I finish bandaging him up.