Season 1 Episode 20: Shining Friendship

(Watch Opening)

Outside of the castle, the group makes their way down to the main gate as Yugi is on his knees infront of it with his head down still in shock as the others watch behind him.

Joey: Yugi?

Tristan: Come on, Yuge.

Tea: Why won't he answer us?

Tristan: I've never seen him like this.

Joey: He's totally out of it.

Bakura: Well, he did lose his only chance to save his grandfather.

Amikou: Bakura, not helping.

Jason: Yugi... Let us help you.

Yugi thinks back to his duel with Seto, where he felt like he was battling against himself. The spirit of the puzzle and Yugi seemed to be at a crossroad.

Yugi: 'What is happening to me? One minute I'm battling against Kaiba, the next minute I'm battling with myself.
Suddenly, there was this other presence inside of me willing to do anything
to win the duel, and it took everything I had just to hold him back, but that gave Kaiba the opening he needed. I let Kaiba win the match, but I had no choice. That other presence might have seriously hurt Kaiba if I hadn't regained control, and now I'm afraid of what happens next time. What happens if I can't control it? No! I can't take that chance.
And that means I can never duel again.

Tea: We have to do something, Joey.

Joey: Yeah, all right. I'm going in.

Joey walks over and kneels down beside Yugi with his glove out for his friend.

Joey: It's okay, Yugi. You just lost a few star chips is all. Here, take mine. I owe you big time for ever getting me this far. Take 'em.

The surprised the rest of the group as Amikou stepped forward.

Amikou: But what about...

Joey: My sister? Sure, she needs my help, but gramps is in some real danger right now. We got to get Yugi into the castle.

Tea: Please, Yugi.

Joey: Come on, pal. What do you say?
Let's go kick Pegasus's sorry ass and get your grandpa back. Go on, Yugi. I want you to have them.

Yugi didn't respond as Joey saw the blank look on his face, making the teen angry as he grabbed Yugi by the front of the shirt and lifted him up off the ground.

Joey: Come on! Snap out of it!

Amikou: Joey!

The others run over to try to get Joey to let go as he yells at Yugi.

Joey: You're really starting to scare me, man! I'm trying to help you out here. Pull yourself together!

Tristan: Take it easy, Joey.