part twenty four: playful ceremonies

Start from the beginning

"Aw come on, what's with the sour mood?"

"Are you gonna tell me why I'm picking you up from Monty's on a Thursday night?" I said.

"Well, Y/n, if you must know, I've been condoning in a little bit of..." he pinched his index finger and his thumb together and held them to his mouth, pretending to inhale, "if you know what I mean."

"Yeah, I think I figured that out." I grimaced, watching as he smiled sloppily. Just then, Kylie came by, setting down a sundae between the two of us.

"Ooh ice cream!" Cole cheered, immediately reaching for a spoon before I slapped his hand away harshly.

"This is not for you!" I scolded him. I then looked at Kylie and smiled weakly, "Thank you."

"No problem." she smiled back, glancing at Cole briefly, "Just letting you know, we close in fifteen minutes."

"Okay, thank you." I said as she walked away. I looked back at Cole and he was staring at the sundae with a pout. I pulled the sundae back towards me, "You can have a bite after you tell me what's going on."

"Come on, Y/n. Are you serious?" he looked at me, a smirk on his face. I didn't say anything, only raising my brows to let him continue. He let out a loud sigh, sliding his hand down his face.

"Alright, fine. I'll tell you." he said, sitting up slightly in his chair. "I was out tonight with Dylan and he had a joint. All it was was just us going around town and smoking a little bit. What's the big deal?"

"The big deal is that you're not supposed to be doing that." I said, "Look, I know I haven't known you for long but I know that you going out and getting high on a Thursday night is not like you."

"So?" he shrugged, looking at me, "So what if it's not like me? Who are you supposed to be, a fucking therapist? You don't always have to come to the rescue, Y/n."

I furrowed my brows, "No one said I was trying to be a fucking therapist. I'm just trying to help you after you called me to come and get you. What, did you expect me to not ask you anything?"

"Yeah, I did." he said.

I scoffed, crossing my arms. "You're unbelievable."

We were quiet for a moment as I looked away from him. The nerve of him to have me come out here at night by myself, lie to his parents for him, and then give me attitude when I try to ask him what's wrong. I couldn't believe him!

"Y/n, I'm sorry." Cole said after some time. I looked at him and he was rubbing his eyes. When he looked at me, they were still red, but now they seemed more aware, "I'm a dick. I shouldn't have cursed at you."

I gave him a hard look before I sighed, "It's fine." A moment passed and I said, "Do you wanna talk about it?"

He ran a hand through his hair, "Honestly, I don't even know." he said, "Recently I've just been confused about everything. I don't know what I'm doing. I don't know what's next after high school. I don't know and I feel like giving up. It's like I have no purpose for anything anymore."

"Cole, what are you talking about?" I shook my head, "You got school, you're gonna go to college-"

"Who cares about college, Y/n?" he cut me off, "After my injury, all my offers and anything about college got pulled away from me. How do you think that makes me feel? Knowing that they were only looking at me because of some stupid sport and now that it's gone I'm worth nothing? What — How do I even deal with that?"

"Cole, you know that's not true." I said, "Just because you had all these offers before and now you don't doesn't mean that your 'value' went down." I used air quotes, "You are still so smart and an amazing person. There's so much to you that you don't even realize. Please, get those stupid thoughts out of your head and don't turn to smoking weed to solve them."