part seventeen: bonfire

The bonfire was like every other party I had been to here in Colorado. There were drinks everywhere, some people smoking, some people playing beer pong, and some people dancing, despite the freezing cold.

The only difference was that there was a huge fire with multiple other ones scattered around.

We were in the middle of the woods and people were scattered around everywhere. In between cars, at the fire, climbing trees. We were in a deeper part of the forest and I honestly don't even know how these people found this big clearing here.

We had already been here for about two hours though and needless to say, the bonfire had lived up to its reputation.

"Guys! Guys! Guys!" Wendy came running over to us, her phone in one hand and a red solo cup sloshing around beer in the other.

Nicole and I turned, laughing as she stumbled over.

"Wendy, it's not even nine yet." I laughed at her.

She waved her hand, "Oh don't worry, I'm still fine." she shook her head and grinned, "But guess what I just saw?"

"What?"

"Kevin McCraw just shotgunned three beers and started chugging the keg through the funnel." she squealed. Nicole and I exchanged a weird look.

"And how is this important to us?" Nicole arched a brow.

"Because right after he finished shotgunning, he turned to Kady Merrica and winked at her, while she was right next to her boyfriend!" she squealed, making Nicole quickly slap a hand over her mouth.

"Dude, chill. People are looking at us, you weirdo." Nicole scolded her. Wendy pushed her hand away, still smiling widely.

"I'm sorry but I just got excited. Look, I even caught it on video." she held out her phone to us and it was indeed a video of a guy shotgunning his beers, then winking at a blonde girl who already had an arm wrapped around her waist by another dude.

"Dang. Her boyfriend looks pretty pissed." I raised my brows.

"Didn't he graduate last year though? What's he even doing here?" Nicole crossed her arms.

"Don't know. Probably just her plus one." Wendy shrugged, pulling her phone back and beginning to type at an incredible speed. After a few seconds she smiled again, "It's posted! I'm already getting views."

I laughed at her, shaking my head, "How the hell are you so quick with it?"

She shrugged again, "It's a gift."

"But what do you do if you miss something big? What happens then?"

"People usually send in their videos and pictures and have stories they send in too. I keep it confidential where I get my sources from, I like to keep things professional." she answered, "I'm not the only one who enjoys a little bit of drama."

"And that's why you're gonna make it big someday in writing. You'll be with your own company. I can see it now." Nicole threw her arm around Wendy's shoulders, waving her hands around. "Wendy Writes. It has a ring to it, right?"

"Oooh yes!" Wendy stomped her feet happily, "I'm gonna use that for now on!"

We laughed again at her enthusiasm as she drank the rest of her cup.

"Dude, you better control yourself because I'm the one taking you home." Nicole gave her a look, but the smile on her face let us know that she was only joking. Just a little.

"I promise, I'll be fine! You two just need to catch up. Come on." she grabbed my hand and motioned for Nicole to follow as she led us to a keg.

There we found Ella, who was talking to Blake Zenner, a boy from the soccer team. When she saw us, she excused herself and quickly rushed over.