"Hmm.. Does anyone want to drink something?" Jessy asked while going to the kitchen. At that same moment, a loud buzz rose in the room. We all looked at each other and gathered around the coffee table, staring at Jessy's phone. It was an unknown number calling. My throat got tight and a heavyweight fell into my chest remembering the Man Without a Face's threatening calls. As Jessy reached for her phone, I saw her skin grew paler than it already was - if this was possible. She answered and I could hear a male voice talking but I didn't understand a word. The redhead girl nodded several times making a few sounds of approval before replying something in German. I turned my head to my two other friends with an interrogating look, but they just shook their heads, indicating what Jessy said hasn't helped them to figure out who called.

The young woman hung up and turned to us. Her lips curled slightly up to form a shy smile and, beyond the grim expression she wore, we could see the shadow of a spark reappearing in the depths of her eyes. "It was Colville prison," she started, "Phil is free. I can pick him up at 4pm." A frank smile eventually crossed her face and I sighed with relief.

"Wow, that's great news!" Dan blurted out. I looked at him, raising my eyebrows at his sudden enthusiasm. The man avoided my gaze, and I knew he hadn't told Jessy yet he was the one who pleaded against Phil. I bit the inside of my cheek to prevent a disapproval sigh to escape. Even if I was a little disappointed by Dan's behavior I remained silent. Jessy went through a lot lately and it wasn't the time to make things worse. She deserved a break.

"Well, I guess we're gonna go. I wanted to check on Lilly and Thomas when they got back from the hospital," Cleo stated, "Dan, do I take you back home?" The man approved and after several hugs and promises to see us again soon, our friends left.

We stood a little in the middle of Jessy's apartment in an awkward silence, "I can come with you to Colville if you want to," I suggested . I saw Jessy's face light a bit and she shook her hand.

"Thank you. It's still early, maybe we should rest before we leave. I'll show you the guest room. " I followed Jessy to a little room with plain white walls and a two-person bed standing against the wall. "It's not much but I hope it will allow you to sleep a little. You must be exhausted."

"Are you kidding? It's more than enough, Jessy. Thank you for letting me stay." We smiled at each other and then, Jessy went to her room. I slipped under the blanket and grabbed my phone. With sweaty hands, I opened the conversation I had with Jake. And re-read our last messages again and again.

Jake: MC.

Jake: I love you

MC: I love you too, Jake.

It couldn't be his last words. I couldn't accept it. With shaking hands I began to type.

MC: Jake, I'm in Duskwood. Please, tell me you got out of that mine.

I stared at those words and my thoughts were racing. I took a deep breath and deleted the message. If he hadn't texted me yet, it meant he couldn't. It probably was too dangerous. I had to trust him, I knew he'd reach me as soon as he could. Hot tears fell down my cheeks and I turned in the bed hugging my knees. I missed him so much. My body was aching and I felt exhausted. I closed my eyes and I cried myself to sleep.

-

Someone gently shook my shoulder and I opened my eyes. Jessy's familiar face was staring at me. I slowly got up, standing myself on my elbow and it took me a few seconds before I remembered why I was there. "Hey MC..." she said quietly, "sorry to wake you up but we're leaving soon... I thought maybe we should eat something before we go"

"Yes, it's a good idea," I yawned while I saw my friend sitting at the edge of the bed. I knew it wasn't because she wanted to invade my personal space but because she had no strength left. Her head was bent down and her legs were shaking. I kneeled on the bed and wrapped my arms around her, resting my chin on her hair. "Jessy, I know all of this is overwhelming but let's focus on good things. Your brother is free and we're gonna get through this together, step by step." I stood up and took her hand. "First step, breakfast!" I looked at the alarm clock on the nightstand - 2.30pm "Well... Late breakfast I mean" Jessy giggled and followed me to the living room. She sat while I rummaged through the kitchen's cupboard looking for something to eat. I grabbed bread and strawberry jelly and went to the fridge for juice. A crumpled paper on the fridge caught my eyes. It was an old chocolate bar packaging with the Roger's garage logo on it. I could see a funny note Jessy wrote 'No matter the problem or the question, chocolate is always the answer' I smiled, but when I took a better look at it I saw traces of tears. When was it? When she argued with Richy about Phil? When he got attacked? Or, last night when he died?