I'LL LET YOU GO IF THAT'S WHAT YOU WANT

Start from the beginning

a universe where he wouldn't have to go without her for 8 months, where his performance improved when she attended grand prixs.
the one he'd rather live with her than without.

it was unsure when they would ever see each other again. they'd gone this long without seeing the other, who's to say they ever would?

it was chilly in the streets of monaco, contrast to the usually warm, sunny climate the area was known for. she wore a thick coat while she walked down the sidewalk, past the seasonal market with nothing more than her phone, wallet and tote bag.

she needed to get out, to think. she couldn't stand being trapped in the box of her apartment surrounded by nothing but reminders of him. not that it was a bad thing.

she couldn't take another second overanalyzing the helmet he had left for her. she knew it was part of his plan to have her back. to make her want more helmets dedicated to her, which he continued to do despite her not being with him. she'd be lying if she said his plan was failing.

the hoodie, probably tied into the same plan, covered in his damn cologne he knew she couldn't get enough of. it had faded over time, becoming replaced with the smell of her instead. she didn't know what to think of it.

she considered purchasing that same cologne again, drowning the fabric in its fragrance. it wouldn't be the same.

she felt like she could breathe easier with the winter air rather than the stale air of her apartment. sure, she could've stepped onto the balcony, but it was always nice to find a way out of her apartment complex.

hands stuffed in her pockets, she wandered around aimlessly at the shops that lined the streets and stalls set up to buy from.

riddled with things that caught her eye, she couldn't help but stop at nearly every stall. it took an incredible amount of self control to not buy everything she wanted. she didn't have lando by her side to buy everything.

this was her life now. she had a job that she could do from home and it paid her rent. it was enough to live off of while she completed her last years of school before she started a career for herself. tiny little trinkets seemed good in the moment, but she knew long-term that it'd eventually hurt her financially, and besides she didn't have that much space in her apartment.

she didn't know how much time had passed. everything was a blur as she mindlessly walked on. she hadn't noticed when she bumped her shoulder into somebody's chest, and she had immediately begun to apologize.

"i'm so sorry, i wasn't looking where i was—lando?" she recognized the curly-haired guy in front of her as she stood there frozen.

"hey, long time no see," he spoke slowly and warily, looking her up and down at the changes of her appearances that occurred over the last eight months.

"uh—what are you doing here?" she questioned, stuttering over her words just slightly as she looked at him tensely.

lando looked around with a brow raised, hands in his pockets while he answered, "uh, i live here?"
she nodded, "right."

the air was awkward as they stood in a tense silence. people ushered around them, occasionally bumping into them. they hadn't known what to say to each other because they weren't expecting this impromptu meeting.

"how've you been?" he broke the silence.

she nodded again, "fine, and you? i saw that your season wasn't too good."

he grimaced softly at her words, "yeah," he scratched the back of his neck, "just some technical issues."

"right."