the big clunky metal machine slowly crawls across the sand, picking up spice. the harvester creaking as it does so.

"you can see the spice spice scattered over the surface. it's a rich one. if you get a little higher you'll be able to see it better." mili instructs.

leto does as instructed, pressing some rusty controls and a lever which results in the ascend of the ornithopter.

mili points upwards. "you see these spotter aircraft looking for wormsign." she says

"wormsign?" leto asks.

"a sand wave moving towards the crawler. indicates there's a sandworm" mili says looking out the window.

"a worm always comes?" gurney asks.

"always. if your patient we should see one." mili responds.

paul leans forward in his seat, squinting his eyes. "is that a worm?" he asks.

mili grabs her pair of binoculars and holds them up to her face. "big one. you have good eyes." says to paul.

mili presses some buttons on the side of her headset. "calling crawler delta ajax niner. wormsign. acknowledge." mili says, warning the harvesters over the coms system.

"who calls delta ajax niner? over." the man asks.

"they seem pretty calm about it." gurney studies.

"unlisted flight. imperial business. wormsign north and east to you. over." mili says over the system.

"delta ajax niner this is spotter one. wormsign confirmed. standby for contact fix." another voice says as a spotter aircraft flies toward the worm.

"so what happens now?" leto asks.

"they'll call a carryall to lift the crawler. they'll harvest right up to the last minute," mili replies.

the man on the crawler speaks up. "calling carryall alpha zero, ready for docking sequence." the man says.

"contact five minutes. over." the spotter says.

there is so much going on. paul does not know who or what to listen to it was all so interesting.

lanybody got a visual on the carryall?" the spotter asks.

"there it is." gurney points

"this is carryall alpha zero, approaching from your east. correcting altitude and preparing docking equipment." the carryall butts in.

the carryall flies symmetricaly over the crawler. "initiating docking sequence. prepare to be airborne in thirty seconds. brace yourselves." the carryall says.

paul and mili watch as the carryalls anchors each fly out one by one. the fourth one, however, explodes on the way out. mili gasps.

"this is carryall alpha zero were short one contact!" the carryall crew yells.

"what's going on?" the crawler responds. "it's one of the anchors! it's dead!" the carryall responds.

"shit..." mili says causing paul to turn his head in concern.

"carryall unable to receive! unable to lift without that anchor!" the carryall says.

"how many onboard?" leto asks seriously.

"crew of 21." mili responds. "our ships can take six each." leto says.

"that's still three short." paul says.

"we'll make it work." leto replies looking back at his son before hitting a button causing the ornithopter to dive down.

"this is duke leto atreides coming to extract the crew of delta ajax niner. we'll settle down on the west." leto says over the coms.

the crawler finally stops.

the ornithopters doors opening "the shield generators are 100 kilos each." paul says getting up.

"yes, gurney have our escorts throw out the shield generators." leto says.

"yes sire!" he replies.

"paul, mili,  i want you both at the back of the thopter, guide them in." leto instructs.

"delta ajax niner, i want seven men in each of my ships now!" leto yells over the radio

paul and mili exit the thopter. their eyes being met with sand and spice. but that didn't matter right now.

the second paul's feet touched the ground he was sucked into a sort of trance. his knee falling to the ground to pick up the sand and spice.

"paul!" mili tells snapping him out of it.

"now's not the time!" she yells helping him up. he stands up, running over to the people exiting the crawler.

"hey!! seven over here! seven over there!" paul yells to them.

"go, go, go!" mili yells running with them and paul toward the ships.

paul's clear vision, however was cut short with a large dust cloud full of spice hits the pair. luckily, mili did not receive the effects of spice.

paul though, was deep in a vision. his eyesight blurry, his legs stumbling. distorted voices around him speak "kwizatz haderach..." paul looks forward.

seeing mili in his vision.

very close. his heart flutters as she leans forward. she whispers something before stabbing him with a crysknife. he feels it and all of its pure pain, falling to his knees.

mili jump on the aircraft looking behind her to smile at paul from adrenaline, when she realizes, paul's not there, her smile immediately falters.

"paul? paul?!" she yells causing multiple heads to turn.

meanwhile paul is kneeled down by the crawler.

"forever and always you, mili." he gently whispers.

then he is woke from his vision from a harsh hand grabbing his own.

"cmon, paul!" mili yell, holding his hand very tight.

she yanks him up and holds his shoulder as they both start to run.

paul looks to his right and sees the worm has arrived. he can very faintly hear liet from the second thopter say "it's here!"

the sandworm rumbles the ground making mili fall out of paul's grip.

"shit!" he yells, scurrying back for her but the sands falling structure causes him to fall too.

he stand up and grabs her hand, this time he's the one yanking her up. they both start to run again. struggling, but managing under the sand.

paul let's mili get on first before he jumps on, the sand crumbling beneath him just as his feet are lifted from the sand.

mili holds his hand tightly to make sure he doesn't fall. they watch as the crawler sinks into the sand and into the worms mouth. it was scary and beautiful at the same time. sand and spice flew all around them as they watched. paul couldn't look away. mili was just looking at paul.

-

as mili exits the ornithopter, she sees paul being scolded by leto. she waits for their conversation to end before storming up to him and slapping him. he looked very taken aback by this but was even more confused when she pulled him into a hug.

"fuck you, paul atreides." she says hugging him tighter. he only smiles at this and holds her against his chest with a gentle protection.

-1488 words-