Chapter 2

As soon as you stepped into the boat you knew that you weren't going to have many friends. Everyone ignored your boat. You put your head down on your lap. Hermione and Susan were about to join you in your boat but Harry and Ron clambered in. You flashed an apologetic glance at Hermione and Susan. Hermione mouths something to you then turns and whispers something into Susan's ear. Susan nods vigorously. 

"Hi (Y/N)." Harry says. You blush hoping he can't see it in the lanterns light. Ron scratches the back of his neck. The boat jolts forward and you nearly topple over. Harry grabs your arm to help you regain balance. Next to you, Hermione and Susan's boat floats in front of you. Hermione and Susan start laughing. You carefully reach over and push their boat forward. 

"How'd you get to the Hogwarts Express?" Ron asks, trying to fill in the silence. 

"My dad apperated with me and dropped me off at the station." you say with a shrug. "Nothing special." 

"Cool! My parents drove me and my brothers to the station using a flying car!" Ron boasted. You giggled. Boys are so full of themselves. 

"Hagrid, the guy who's leading the boats, brought me to Diagon Alley then to the station." Harry claims. 

"That's so much cooler than my way." you complain with a slight shove on Harry's shoulder. "What houses do you think you'll get in?" 

"Gryffindor." Ron blurts without a second thought. "My siblings are all there." 

"I hope to be in Gryffindor too. What about you?" Harry asks.

"I dunno. Gryffindor?" you reply, answering his question with a question. Ron crashes into you as the boat hits the sand. Muttering a sorry he gets up and helps you up as well. You excuse yourself to go and catch up with the other girls. Hermione elbows you. "What?" you complain, rubbing your arm.

"Harry's looking at us." she says in a singsong voice. "Or maybe someone in particular..."

"I hate you." you joke, glancing back to see that she was correct. You suddenly feel self-conscious. She links your arm in hers and Susan takes your other arm. You feel squished in-between them. They practically pull you into the school. 

 "The firs' years, Professor McGonagall," Hagrid says with a flourish of his hand. 

"Thank you, Hagrid. I will take them from here." Professor McGonagall pulls the door wide. You feel unfazed as everyone gasps at the sight. She then leads you and the group up the stairs and stops you at the door to the great hall.

"How is this not cool (Y/N)?" Hermione asks still in awe.

"My dad works here so I've seen it before." you shrug. 

"Welcome to Hogwarts," Professor McGonagall starts. "The start-of-term banquet will begin shortly, but before you take your seats in the Great-Hall, you will be sorted into your houses. Sorting is a very important ceremony because, while you are here, your house will be something like your family within Hogwarts. You will have classes with the rest of your house, sleep in your house dormitory, and spend free time in your house's common room. The four houses are called Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin-" You stop listening. Some more people are coming. You see a man with a turban walk swiftly by, unseen by the rest of the first years. He seems to be... Having an argument with himself? "I'll be back in a moment." 

"So it's true." the blonde haired boy steps forward. "Harry Potter has come to Hogwarts." Some people gasp.  "I'm Draco Malfoy. This is Crabbe and Goyle." He indicates to boys that appear behind him. Ron snickers. "What? You think my name's funny do you? No need to ask yours. Red hair and a hand -me-down robe? You must be a Weasley. You should hang out with us. Not with the wrong people." He looks up and down Ron. 

"I think I can tell who the wrong and right types are, thank you." Harry replies with a slight snarl. Professor McGonagall comes back and opens the door and leads the group inside. The hall was wide enough to fit the entire school. Bewitched candles fly around, lighting up the entire room. 

Hermione whispers, "It's bewitched to look like the sky outside. I read about it in Hogwarts, A History."

"And no one cares." Ron mimics Hermione's voice.  You punch him in the shoulder. Everyone is so amazed that only a few people, including yourself, see the hat in the middle of the room. The hat, which you think is stupid, sings a song. You don't really listen though since you are so busy staring at your dad, who was glowering at the students. 

"Now when I call you up please step up and I'll place the hat on your head." Professor McGonagall says, formally. "Bones, Susan." Susan emits a little gasp at being called first. You squeeze her hand in reassurance. She walks up and sits on the stool. 

The hat sits on her head awkwardly before yelling out, "HUFFLEPUFF!" She smiles at you and Hermione before going to sit with her house. 

"Granger, Hermione." Hermione mutters something you can quite catch. She steps up and plops down on the stool. 

"Gryffindor." More clapping. 

"Malfoy, Draco." The blonde boy steps up and sits on the stool. The hat barely touches the top of his head before declaring he's a Slytherin. The house your dad expects you to be in. 

"Snape, (Y/N)." You nervously step up and cautiously sit down on the stool. The hat sits on your head for a good minute or two then declares: Gryffindoor. Your dad gapes then quickly glares at you. You slip down and sit next to Hermione. Harry and Ron are also put into Gryffindoor.  Dumbledore says something you don't catch then a feast appears in front of you. You put only a few things on your plate then eat. You finish fast and don't even bother getting a second helping because Ron is sitting next to you, hogging all the food. Eventually, the feast finishes and Dumbledore tells the prefects to escort their house to their common room. You walk up the moving stairs with the rest of your house and stop at the picture of the fat lady. Percy (Ron's older brother and one of the Gryffindor prefects) explains that 'Caput Draconis' is the password to get in. As soon as he says it, the portrait swings open to reveal a comfy common room. Everything is red and yellowish-orange. You and Hermione go up the right staircase after the other prefect explains how girls are on the right and boys on the left. As soon as your head hits the pillow, you are asleep.