Chapter 12 - Odette

As Louis ventured off through the village to attend a meeting with the elders, George and I were seated outside of his hut, surrounded by the sounds of the forest. Seated on a tiny stool, George told me tales of the village's rich history, it had been here for almost 1,000 years and has remained completely self reliant.

Louis returned from the meeting and his voice broke through air, drawing my attention. "Odette?" he called. "George might not have mentioned it, but there's a forest festival going on a few streets away. I think it would be fun for us to explore."

Rising from my spot beside George, I nodded excitedly. "That sounds delightful."

"I'll stay put," George said with a knowing grin, "Just don't let the night catch you off guard, lovebirds." Louis and I started our walk towards the street where the festival was being held. A group of gnomes were standing on the edge of a street and called out to Louis, "Louis, you found a lady!"

We exchanged amused glances before continuing on our way. When we reached the festival square, vibrant banners adorned the walls of buildings, while the air hummed with the chatter of villagers and the melodies of celebration.

While Louis engaged in conversation with the locals, I meandered through the lively array of stalls. There was a wide variety of things for sale, from caramel confections to intricately crafted furniture. Yet, it was a small stand tucked away at the end that called me closer.

Beneath a faded green canopy sat an elderly gnome. I glanced around at the jewelry she had on display and kept coming back to a particular bracelet, its deep blue hue captivated my gaze.

"How much for this one?" I asked.

The gnome's voice, harsh with age, responded, "Let me see... 14 Crete." I was surprised by the use of Crete, generally it is only used in Oryn.

"I'll take it," I declared, digging the appropriate payment along with a little extra from out of a pocket in my pants.

Her eyes sparkled with gratitude as she noticed the additional coins. "Thank you very much, ma'am," she expressed a genuine smile.

After carefully fastening the bracelet around my wrist, I admired its intricate design, and resumed my exploration, weaving through clusters of villagers immersed in jovial conversations and spirited dances.

As the golden hues of the setting sun bathed the scene in a warm glow, I found Louis seated at a table, engaged in a conversation with a group of gnomes.

Approaching Louis with a smile, I interrupted their conversation. "Louis?" I called softly, capturing his attention.

He turned towards me, the soft radiance of the sunset reflected in his eyes, casting an enchanting glow. "Hm?" he responded, his focus shifting to me.

A surge of excitement coursed through me as I extended an invitation. "Would you like to dance?" I inquired eagerly.

A bashful grin tugged at the corners of his lips, and it looked as if his face turned a light pink color as he hesitated. "I don't really dance," he said, "I'm not very good."

Still wanting him to dance with me, I started to try to convince him to go to the dance floor. Before he could protest further, a mischievous gnome seated beside him intervened, playfully nudging his arm. "Come on, the lady wants to dance. Off you go," the gnome insisted with a playful wink.

The festival lights flickered above us, casting a kaleidoscope of colors onto the cobblestone square, where colorful string lights crossed the space. The scent of roasting chestnuts and sweet pastries filled the air, mingling with the laughter and chatter of the townspeople gathered for the annual Forest Festival.

Louis stood across from me, looking every bit as nervous as I felt, I had never felt this nervous after asking someone to dance but for some reason this time was different. Tonight, even though Louis was still wearing the same uniform that he had been wearing this entire journey, he seemed like almost a different person. His eyes met mine, and I offered a reassuring smile, extending a hand to him. His grip was warm and firm, and surprisingly he led me towards the center of the square.

"Are you ready for this?" I whispered as we took our starting positions.

"Ready as I'll ever be, like I said, I don't dance much." He replied, a nervous laugh escaping his mouth.

With the first sweeping note, we began to move. Louis's hand rested gently on my waist and our steps fell into sync, the world around us fading into a blur of lights and colors.

"You look stunning tonight," Louis said, his voice soft and sincere.

"Thank you," I replied, feeling a blush creep up my cheeks. "even though I'm wearing the same uniform as you."

He chuckled, his eyes twinkling with amusement. "So?"

Surprisingly, Louis spun me around gracefully, even though he is the one who said he couldn't dance.

"I thought you said you couldn't dance?" I asked as we glided across the cobblestones.

"I did," he said, smiling at his earlier comment. "But it's not as hard as I thought."

The waltz carried us through a series of intricate steps, each movement feeling more natural and fluid than the last, I noticed he didn't have to rely on me leading as much and that his gaze never wavered from mine.

"Thank you," I suddenly said.

"What for?" he asked.

"Kind of for everything." I said and sighed, "Things like keeping me safe, and most importantly, being my friend and making me feel not so alone."

He smiled. "I made an oath to your family to protect you, and I figured you needed a friend."

As the final notes of the waltz approached, Louis drew me close for one last spin. Our faces were inches apart, and for a heartbeat, time seemed to stand still.

"I did." I whispered, my voice barely audible over the music.

As the dance ended, Louis's expression turned serious. "I have something I need to tell you," he said, his voice barely above a whisper.