Turn Back The Clock

Yes, the first story is going to be sad. Yes, I did add the song to make it sadder. Deal with it.

***

Rabbit stretched herself out from backstage. Tonight had been a long night, what with the concert and all. But it was almost over, with only one more song to go. Chelsea and Camille were getting into their Walterina costumes, since the last song was to be 'Turn Back the Clock.' She sighed and walked over to the entrance to the stage. Peeking out, she saw all the people in the crowd patiently waiting for the robots to come out on stage once more. She lowered her eyes. Why did she even ever write that stupid song? Every time she sang it, she always got bad memories of the girl it was about.

Julia was probably Rabbit's favorite human. The two had met when she was only six. The girl had curly golden hair done up in pink bows, along with brown eyes and freckles. She would come to every single show they had done, even giving Rabbit drawings she had made. But as time went on, Julia began to grow up. She dyed her hair black and started dating guys. She eventually got married and settled down. As time passed, she began to come less and less to their shows, and one day, she just stopped coming. Rabbit found out a week later that Julia had died.

Rabbit shook her head, clearing her thoughts. She wasn't gonna make herself sad, not at the end of a show. She saw the lights dim and the music begin to play, and she stepped out on stage. "I see a smile, it's bright," she sang, starting the song. 'Okay Rabbit,' she thought, 'we're not gonna mess up here. You'll be fine. I've gone through other times like this before, too. What makes this time any different? Just relax and you'll get through it easily.'

They had already gotten to the second verse. Things were looking up. She scanned the audience to distract herself. "While the world does change, her smile stays the same..."

Soon before anyone knew it, they were up to the final chorus. But Rabbit's eyes rested on someone in the audience. A little girl, her golden hair done up in pigtails, with brown eyes and freckles.

"I see a girl here, and she's laughing," she said, her eyes still on the girl. "She looks just like her... with her golden curls... And she's smiling... I-it's not the same smile..." She was starting to choke up by now. She looked closer at the girl in the audience. The lyrics of the song rang true except for one part- her smile was the same.

"I still see her now, smiling, c-come on back to me," she sang, forcing herself to continue and finish the song. But she couldn't take her eyes off the girl. "Hum her little song, w-where did she go? Where d-did she go? Where did she go...?" The girl had caught Rabbit's eye now as well, and they were both staring straight at each other. "I-" Rabbit started. "I have to go." Then she ran offstage without any other warning.

***

Rabbit sat in her dressing room by herself, trying to calm herself down. "I-it wasn't real, Rabbit," she told herself. "You were just imagining th-things. You did not just see Julia in the audience."

"Rabbit, what happened back there?" She looked up to see The Spine standing in the doorway. "Are you okay?"

"I saw J-Julia in the crowd," Rabbit blurted. "I-I don't know how! But she was there, I know it!"

"Julia? Rabbit, Julia died years ago."

"I know!" She cried. "Don't ask me why she w-was there, b-but she was!"

"There's no way she was there," Spine said, putting a hand on Rabbit's shoulder. "You must have seen someone who just looked like-"

"No, I didn't," Rabbit said, cutting him off. "And y'know how? Her smile. It w-was the same. I've seen other people who l-l-look like her, but I knew it wasn't her because they didn't have the same smile. How do ya explain it if she had the same s-smile? Huh?"

"I..." Spine was speechless. "I can't. What do you think happened?"

"I dunno, her ghost or somethin'?" Rabbit suggested, shrugging. "Whatever it was, I d-didn't like it."

"Well, I have to go sort things out with the others, okay?" Spine said. "Let me know if you need anything, alright?" Rabbit nodded glumly, and he left. She sighed.

"I don't know what happened," she muttered. "I don't know what you were, or why you were here, but... it was real nice to see you again." She sighed. "I miss you, Julia."