Part 1 Where it all started

Late 16th century
                     Carpathian mountains

In the shadowed embrace of the Carpathian Mountains, as twilight bled into the dark veins of night, the village of Gheorgheni prepared for an act of purgation. It was a time when fear ruled the hearts of men, and whispers of the night bore tales of death. Vampires, they said, walked among them, cloaked in the guise of neighbors and friends. It was a time of suspicion, a time of witch hunts, but above all, it was the time of Lord Saltzman, the most fervent and ruthless of the vampire hunters.

The square, usually a place of commerce and community, had been transformed into an arena of judgment. At its heart, stakes had been driven into the cold earth, around which firewood and kindling were piled like funeral pyres. The villagers, faces gaunt with fear and anticipation, gathered as the night deepened, their whispers flickering like the torches they held.

Lord Saltzman stood apart, a silhouette against the flames that began to lick the night sky. His name was spoken in hushed tones, a blend of reverence and dread. He was a tall man, broad-shouldered, with eyes that gleamed with a zealot's fervor. Dressed in black, he seemed a specter of death itself, the final arbiter of those deemed other, those condemned to the flame.

"Bring forth the accused!" His voice, when it came, was like the crack of a whip, slicing through the murmuring of the crowd.

Bound and led by chains, the accused were paraded before the onlookers. There were three: a man with eyes like the winter sky, too bright, too knowing; a woman whose beauty seemed untouched by fear, her gaze defiant; and a youth, no more than a boy, whose trembling spoke of uncomprehended doom. They were the vampires, the night's offspring, marked for death by Lord Saltzman's decree.

The villagers recoiled and crossed themselves, even as they strained to see. The accused were forced to their knees before the stakes, the smell of tar and fear heavy in the air.

"Monsters," Saltzman proclaimed, addressing the crowd, "creatures of darkness who feast upon the blood of the innocent. Tonight, we cleanse our village of their taint. Tonight, we restore the light."

The crowd echoed his sentiments, a single beast of many heads, crying out for blood.

Yet, as the torch was handed to Saltzman, as he approached the first stake with the fire that would consume life and legend alike, a hush fell. It was in this moment, in the quiet before the conflagration, that the man with the winter sky eyes spoke, his voice calm, carrying in the stillness.

"Fire may consume our flesh, but truth burns brighter. It will outlive these flames, outlive your hatred."

Saltzman's face twisted in a grim smile. "Then let it be your pyre," he said, and threw the torch.

The fire took eagerly, hungrily, climbing skyward as though to devour the stars themselves. The crowd roared its approval, a sound as terrible as any beast of the night. But above it all, the defiant gaze of the accused met the eyes of those who watched, a silent challenge, a silent plea to see, to understand.

Lord Saltzman turned away from the flames, his work done, but the echoes of that night would reverberate through the ages, whispered in fear and wonder by those who dare to remember, to question. In the heart of the Carpathians, under a blanket of stars, history was written in fire and blood, and its truth, elusive and eternal, slipped like shadow through the fingers of time.

                        July 2006, Prague

"In the sultry heart of July 2006, the Prague National Museum stood as a timeless sentinel, its grandeur undimmed by the pulsing life of the city around it."

The flames of the past seemed to dance in Alaric Saltzman's eyes as he turned away from the display case, its contents a haunting reminder of a time when fear and fire ruled the land. The Prague National Museum, with its vaulted ceilings and echoic halls, hummed with the whispers of history, each artifact a voice from the past. He had led his students here, to the heart of a city where history's layers were as visible as the cobblestones underfoot, to confront the dark chapter of humanity's dealings with vampirism.

As they moved through the exhibition, Alaric's voice served as a bridge across centuries, weaving stories of fear, persecution, and the often-blurred line between myth and reality. The room dedicated to the ancient hunt of vampirism was dimly lit, the light casting shadows over relics of a bygone era—wooden stakes, ancient texts, and paintings of grim-faced men presiding over pyres.

"It was a time of fear, but also of conviction," Alaric explained, gesturing to a particularly detailed painting of a burning at the stake. "Men like Lord Saltzman believed they were protecting their communities, purging an evil that threatened to consume them. It's vital we understand the context, the fear that drove these actions, even as we acknowledge the tragedy they wrought."

The students, a mix of fascination and horror etched on their young faces, followed him closely, absorbing the gravity of a history that felt all too alive within the museum's walls.

Then, from among them, a voice cut through the hush of the room. Riley, a boy with an inquisitive mind and a penchant for challenging questions, stepped forward. "Mr. Saltzman," he began, his tone a mixture of curiosity and tentative respect, "is it just a coincidence? Your name, I mean. Lord Saltzman... Alaric Saltzman. Any relation?"

The question hung in the air, a bridge from the flickering past to the steady light of the present. Around them, the echoes of the museum seemed to still, as if history itself was leaning in to listen.

Alaric met Riley's gaze, a hint of a smile tugging at the corners of his mouth, not out of amusement, but a recognition of the inevitable nature of such a question. "An astute observation, Riley," he acknowledged, his voice steady, the weight of centuries behind it. "The truth is, names carry history, sometimes more than we realize. Lord Saltzman was indeed an ancestor of mine."

The group's murmurs rose like a soft tide, eyes wide with a blend of surprise and a newfound respect.

"But," Alaric continued, raising a hand to still the whispers, "it's important to remember that we are not our ancestors. We carry their names, but their choices are their own. Our task is to learn from the past, to ensure that fear no longer drives us to darkness. We must strive to understand, to empathize, rather than to condemn."

Riley nodded, the gravity of Alaric's words settling over him. It was a lesson not just in history, but in humanity—a reminder that the shadows of the past were not chains, but rather beacons guiding towards a brighter, more understanding future.

As they moved on, the artifacts of the past watching in silent testimony, Alaric Saltzman walked among his students not just as a teacher of history, but as a bridge between what was and what could be, his own lineage a testament to the power of change, of redemption, and of hope.

As the echoes of their footsteps faded into the hushed corridors of the Prague National Museum, July 2006 held its breath, waiting. In that moment, past and present were intertwined, each a mirror reflecting the light and shadows of the other. Alaric Saltzman, with the weight of history in his name and the spark of curiosity in his students' eyes, stood on the threshold of discovery. The lessons of the past, embodied in the artifacts that surrounded them, whispered of truths yet to be uncovered. And as the day waned into the golden hues of a Prague summer evening, the story that began with fire and fear promised to lead them all toward understanding, perhaps redemption.The path ahead was rich with the potential for revelation.