Something Isn't Right

"I love you Tima..." Fatima's heart nearly burst out of her chest as Mikey kissed her on the cheek ever so gently, as his sparkling eyes gazed into hers. She felt calm, she felt joy, she felt... Zac. He was the only thing racing her mind in that moment.

Mikey was a mere reflection of Zac, how the softness in his eyes mimicked his father's. "I love you too, my little Zac, now close your eyes real tight and think of all the pancakes that will be waiting for you in the morning. How does that sound? Good?" Mikey poked his lip back in and nodded, his grin grew wider and wider as his eyes caught slumber. Fatima knew pancakes were his favorite.

[Fatima's phone vibrates]

Fatima: Babe, I was just about to—
Zac: Where's Michael?
Fatima: Zac — what is it babe?
Zac: Michael is he with you?
Fatima: Babe, you're worrying me what is-
Zac: FATIMA — No more questions, stay with him tonight, I'll call back — I love you.

[Karen whispers in the distance]

Karen: That wasn't the arrangement,
you said you would tell her Zac! Tell her!

[Before Zac could speak again the call drops]

Zac: Yo, you really messed up in the head.
Karen: Me? Zac you don't know what you need,
you never knew. I always had to tell you, and I'm TELLIN' YOU - you ain't going nowhere.
Zac: What was it Karen? Oh right, "I hate the day I met you, right? Keep that same f—ing energy.
Karen: Zac, you know how we get, we always do this. We argue, we fight, we say s—t we don't mean.
Zac: Nah, you meant it. The only "WE" I know is me and Fatima. Karen me and you, "WE" don't exist.
Karen: Zac why are you tryin' so hard to piss me off? I told you we do this, then we're right back, makin' love.
-
Zac: NO KAREN, this isn't the same thing.
I regret the day I came to the salon, I was confused, hurting, I wanted something familiar. I just wish I realized sooner the only thing I needed that day was Fatima. She has everything I want, everything you don't. I didn't think I could do better — but I am.
Karen: ZAC! Stop. Zac, don't say that.
Zac: You always hated the truth Karen.
Karen: Just as much as you loved tellin' me lies.

Zac lets out a flustered laugh.

Zac: Lies. Really Karen?
Karen: Yes, Zac. Lies.

Zac: And all the times you'd call me over after having that other n*gga over here, laid up with you, what happened to his fiancé?

Karen: See, that ain't none of ya business.

Zac: Oh really? You made it my business when you called me here. And for what? To put a gun to my head and beg me to come back? Yeah, you more unstable than I thought? Where's Aaron, your twins daddy.

Karen: You mean ONE of the twins daddy?

Zac: Nah, those results came back positive for Aaron only.

Karen: For one child, so who's the other one belong to huh Zac? Since you know so much, tell me.

Zac: If you weren't so adamant on the child being mine you would know the results from me weren't a match. Not my baby, not my problem Karen. The next mother of my child will be my wife.

Karen: Don't you dare say her name, I swear to—
Zac: Get over it Karen, nothing you say or do will deter me from that woman.
Karen: That b**ch.
Zac: Yeah, try her and she gets that way.

Karen: What does this b—h have over you? You act like you can't piss without her.
—— F*CK ZAC!

[Karen puffs her chest up taking a breath

[Karen puffs her chest up taking a breath. She holds both her stomach and gun in the same hand. As she goes to release her hand from the trigger her water breaks.  As she tries to catch the fluid releasing from underneath her; her index finger grazes the trigger with pressure — sending a bullet flying in Zac's direction.]

As fluid drips down Karen's leg, she slams the gun on the table.

Aaron rushes through the front door of Karen's apartment—

Zac is on the floor holding his chest, gasping for air.

Aaron: Karen... what did you do?