Chapter 1: Best Pals.

I'm sitting at the dining room table, my mom has set out a beautiful meal. We're waiting for my dad to leave his office, we can't eat without him. I feel my phone buzz. I quickly pull my phone out and hide it under the table so my mom doesn't see it, I see Luka's name on my screen. Luka Rodregiez is my best friend, my favorite person in the world, aside from my German shepherd Dingo. 

"Evan put it away," My mom sternly tells me, I look up before I read the message and shove my phone in my pocket. My mom's sitting at the other side of our round table from me, her big reading glasses on, and her long blonde hair pinned up into a pleasing-to-look-at messy bun. I hear my father's office door open and close. He makes his way down the stairs and we all straighten ourselves out for him. He makes his way to the table and sits in his seat. 

"Hello sir," My sister, Eliza greets him, I repeat what she says. My mother starts making his plate, it's spaghetti tonight. When he has his plates we all take hands and pray. I don't necessarily believe in praying, or God, but I don't not believe in it. My family is heavily catholic so it's not a me thing, it's a them thing, and I go along. We say amen, and start making our plates. 

"So, Evan, basketball tryouts are this Friday," My father begins, "I shouldn't be worried you'll mess it up?" He asks it's not a question, this is him reminding me not making the team isn't an option. That's ok. I'm the best player we have, even if both my legs were broken they'd still put me on the team.

"No sir, of course not," I reply, that's the end of the conversation, my sister clears her throat. 

"Father, Marie wants to know if I could go shopping this weekend," Eliza asks, my father is mid-spaghetti swallow, he grabs a napkin and wipes his face before he answers.

"Marie? Isn't that the freaky emo girl?" He enquires, and Eliza doesn't answer immediately, making him mad. "Elizabeth answer me when I ask you a question."

"She has...an alternative fashion sense," Eliza replies hesitantly, father looks disgusted. I  look away and continue eating my spaghetti, I'm almost finished. 

"I don't want you hanging out with those people," He answers shortly, Eliza sighs deeply, and he puts his fork down, I can feel him staring at her without even looking up. "Amanda hung out with those kinds of people, see where she is now? I don't need another mistake happening." He explains he's angry, but he sounds calm. 

"Amanda is doing great for herself actually," Eliza protested, "It's not her fault YOU kicked her out," Eliza added, yeah, she's done for. She can kiss her phone, car, and goodbye for at least two months. 

"Amanda left because she decided she wanted to live a life of sin instead of with her loving family," He explains, I finish my spaghetti. 

"Could I be excused please?" I ask quietly, my father gives me a nod before he continues to tear into Eliza. I leave as fast as possible. 

I go upstairs to my room, I close my door, and fall on my bed. My phone buzzes again I remember Luka had texted me. I pull my phone out, he has texted me again, and I open the messages. 

Luka:  Evan are you busy?

EVANNNNNNNNN please meet me at Acorn Fields

Me: Do you want me to pick you up?

Luka: Yessir! 

Me: Be there in 10

I let out a laugh and put my phone in my pocket. I grab my car keys and head downstairs. My parents are now in the living room, Eliza must've stormed off to her room. I tell them I'm leaving to get Luka and they tell me to have fun. I get into my car and start for Luka. His house is a few streets over so it only takes ten minutes. I pull into his driveway and honk my horn, he's out in a few seconds. He gets in my car and greets me loudly.