Chapter 9

"SERIOUSLY?" I heard my dad yell. "YOU WERE ON THE ROOF?"

I gulped, staring at my father standing in my room. "I'm sorry, I didn't know anyone was looking for me."

My father rolled his eyes and grabbed my arm harshly. I knew it would leave a bruise. "You need to help your brother with his homework," he huffed. "You know how bad he is at English."

"Maybe he could pay attention in class," I retorted, immediately regretting it.

My father thrusted my forward. "Listen here, young lady. You need to learn not to talk back, you hear me?"

I nodded. "I'm sorry, father."

My father wound back and slapped me hard across the face, sending my spiralling to the floor. My head hit the wall hard.

I groaned and got back up slowly. "I'll go help Eugene," I mumbled.

My father nodded, before leaving me alone.

I wiped the few tears that had formed, giving myself a moment to breathe. I then entered my brother's room. "You need help with your homework?" I asked.

"I need you to do my homework," my brother corrected, before seeing my face. "Did he hit you?"

I sighed. "Can you tell?"

"One side of your face is bright red. And your forehead has a bump."

"He smacked me and I fell. My forehead hit the wall."

"Oh. Because he couldn't find you?"

"And then I said that you should just pay attention in class. I know you're smart. You just don't like English so you don't try."

"Why do I need to if you just do it for me?"

"I'm not always gonna be able to do everything for you."

"No, but by that time I'll be done with high school, and therefore done with English classes."

"Just give me the work," I said, rolling my eyes.

He grinned and handed it to me. "It's due tomorrow, by the way."

"Of course it is," I muttered. "I'll give it back to you tomorrow."

"Sounds good."

I went back to my room and stayed up for another three hours working on Eugene's homework. When I finally was able to crawl into bed, it was 2:00am. I groaned, knowing I was getting up at 7:00 the next day.