PROLOGUE | PERSONA 3

FEBURARY 3RD 
FRIDAY
2017

The air crackles with tension as I stand face to face with the Phantom Thieves, my hands casually tucked into my pockets. Akira Kurusu, their leader, meets my gaze with a mixture of surprise and determination.

"The... Detective?" Akira mutters, his voice tinged with uncertainty.

Some might call me a detective, but I prefer the term "private investigator". Nevertheless, the Kuzunoha Detective Agency maintains a firm partnership with the Shadow Operatives, and today, our paths have crossed once again.

The Phantom Thieves have been bailed out by us a few times before, but now they're on a mission to change the world once more. The distortion runs deep, a palace created by Maruki, nestled within the construction site of Odaiba Stadium. Today is the day they plan to steal his heart.

"For real!? The detective's in the Metaverse?" Ryuji exclaims, his grip tightening on his club.

I lock eyes with Akira, my expression unreadable. "Step out of the way, detective," he commands, his voice firm.

"I've been waiting for you," I reply calmly, "But sorry, this is as far as you're going."

Akechi, his frustration evident, growls, "Let's just cut him down already. We don't have time to spare."

"The distortion runs deeper than you kids can fathom," I say calmly, my voice cutting through the tension-filled air. "It's not about rebellion anymore; it's about preventing Armageddon."

Akechi scoffs, his expression skeptical. "By letting Maruki create a false world? What nonsense."

"That's right." I glance around, taking stock of all the Phantom Thieves standing before me.

I'm outnumbered, 10 to 1.

Not a problem.

Akira pulls out his knife, the glint of determination in his eyes unmistakable. "We have you outnumbered, detective. If we have to go through you, so be it. You know it doesn't have to be this way."

I shake my head, refusing to back down. "By all means, make me move."

"You bet your effing ass we will!" Ryuji shouts, his voice filled with defiance.

The intensity of the heat within the room rises, surpassing temperatures that are safe.

Ann voices her discomfort. "Hey, is it just me or is it... really hot all of a sudden...? It feels like I stepped right into a sauna!"

"You're outnumbered, detective. You should retreat," Akira says, wiping sweat from his forehead.

Ignoring their warnings, I glare at the group, a smirk playing at the corners of my lips. "Y'know, I've been wondering... what was the point of the outfits? Don't they slow you down?" I taunt, my tone dripping with sarcasm.

The temperature in the room rises even further, the oppressive heat bearing down on us all. 

"No way... so he is a Persona user," Makoto mutters, her eyes widening in realization.

"Not quite. Sorry, but I'll be straight with you kids. The ones outnumbered here..." I reach towards the device, the COMP, on my gauntlet.

Ten demons emerge from my shadows. 

"...are you guys."

One of the demons, a blonde girl clad in red clothing with a hood and a basket filled with food, looks towards me with concern. "(Name), you don't summon all of us so willy nilly, is something the matter?" she asks.