~ The Rainforest Monster: Chapter 18 ~

Start from the beginning

Hare blinked. "So you were one of the missing dragons. I'm glad you came back okay."

"That means Orchid's in there," Mangrove said. "We should go, now."

"No," Glory said quickly. "We need to tell Queen Magnificent. She'll want to hear about this, and we'll need backup in there. We can't just go alone."

"She's right," Jambu said. "The entire NightWing tribe is in there. They'd kill all of us easily."

"Then let's go," Mangrove said. "Quickly. I want to save Orchid."

"There's other dragons in there, you know," Kinkajou snapped.

Glory pointed at Starflight and Clay. "You two guard the tunnel. We'll be back."

Glory pushed past the RainWings waiting to see the queen, ignoring their cries of protest. Hare offered small apologies as she followed. Glory barged into the treehouse, startling the queen.

"Apologies, Your Majesty," Liana said as she walked in. "I know this is very improper, but we have some news."

"Yes!" Kinkajou burst into the treehouse. Magnificent's eyes widened.

"Kinkajou! Where were you?" she asked.

"NightWings have been kidnapping RainWings," Glory announced. "They're testing them for their venom, running experiments and all that."

"NightWings?" Magnificent asked. "How did they get into the rainforest?"

"The tunnel," Glory replied. "The new one. It leads to their home."

"They live on a volcano," Kinkajou explained. "It's awful. It's really warm there, but it can be really cold, too. I don't know how NightWings stand it."

Queen Magnificent scratched her snout. "So the NightWings want to test our venom? But why?"

"That's what we want to know," Liana said.

"But we need to prioritize," Glory insisted. "We need to send dragons through the tunnel and rescue the missing dragons. Who knows what the NightWings will do to them?"

"And how exactly are only a few dragons supposed to fight an entire tribe?" Queen Magnificent asked.

"We'll figure it out, make a plan," Glory replied. "We'll do what we can, but we need to try."

"It'll risk our lives," Magnificent said quietly.

Glory bristled. "You need to take that risk! Our dragons are in danger, we can't just do nothing! We need to save them."

Queen Magnificent sighed. "You're right, you're right."

Glory perked up. "So you'll help us?"

Queen Magnificent was quiet for a moment, then she shook her head. "No."

"What?" Glory snapped. "What do you mean no? You just said-"

"I know what I said," Magnificent said, raising her talon to silence Glory. "But I will be no help to you. Come with me."

The queen climbed out of her hammock and walked out of the treehouse. She led the way onto the platform, then let out the same high-pitched roar she had before. The RainWings began to gather, clustering up the platform. Once the crowd finally settled, the queen began to speak.

"Our new arrivals have brought some news today," she announced. "Glory has found where the missing RainWings have gone, and she's returned home with one of them. I'd like you all to welcome her home, Kinkajou has returned."

Cries of delight erupted from the crowd. Kinkajou bounded to the front and bowed. "Thank you, thank you!"

One dragon, one who looked an awful lot like Liana, hurried forward. Her eyes were pale blue and she had a few scars running down her torso. "You're home!" she cried. "Welcome!"

Kinkajou smiled. "Hi Tamarin! I'm really happy to be back."

Liana rushed to Tamarin's side and gently pulled her arm. "You, I'm going bring you to where the tunnel is, and you are going to promise to never, ever return there, understood?"

That must be the sister she was talking about. She looks awfully young, she must be Liana's younger sister.

"Alright," Tamarin said, pulling herself free.

"So what are we going to do?" one of the RainWings asked.

Queen Magnificent sighed defeatedly. "I do not know, it is not my decision to make. Not anymore."

Hare couldn't stop herself from gasping. Before anyone had a chance to ask what she meant, the queen continued.

"I am not the right dragon to lead you if I can't decide what to do when things like this occur," Magnificent said. "During my reign as queen, I want to make at least one right decision. So, I'm passing the throne on to someone who can actually lead you. You all may not be happy with my decisions, but with time you will realize that this was the right thing to do. Your new queen will guide you well, and she'll do what's right. She'll bring home our missing dragons."

Magnificent took off her necklace of flowers and turned to Glory. "I'm trusting you with the wellbeing of the RainWing tribe." With that, she placed the necklace over Glory's head.

Glory stared at her with wide eyes. "What? But I- I can't! I have things to do. I need to help my friends. I-" She cut herself off. It seemed as though the whole tribe were looking at her. She hesitated, then nodded. "The RainWings need a leader, someone who will guide them. I will be that leader. I will protect you, and I will guide you."

Magnificent smiled. "Well, I'm glad to hear that." She raised her voice to address the tribe. "Welcome Queen Glory of the RainWings!"