If it was in the past, she would just stare blankly into the air or just do another embroidery project she didn’t care about, but she was now doing her own thing without any prompting. I was proud. I smiled towards Hestia and then turned my attention back to my books and focus.

“In the beginning, humans were only allowed normal magic while only magical beings were allowed white and black magic……?”

I reread the parts I already knew before grabbing another book. I had just grabbed at whatever was closest, but there was a lot of information that grabbed myt attention.

I stopped at a particular sentence that caught my attention. I was curious about who wrote the book, so I turned the book around to look at the cover.

The book I was currently holding was a thesis published by the Royal Research Facility and the author was none other than Hylli’s deceased mother, Caradil Evgedin.

This thesis was stashed in the back corner of the library, so I had never read it before. I dimly remembered that Caradil had researched black magic and the Augran Mountain before this.

At first glance, it was easy to think that there wasn’t a connection between white magic, black magic, and the Augran Mountain. But putting that aside, this was something that Caradil had wrote, so I read through it with interest.

“White magic and black magic, undoubtedly, belong to magical beings, but there is only one species of magical being that can handle these magics. That species is the arbitrator of the world, the keeper of the world–the dragon.”

Dragons are the arbitrators of the world? They were generally thought of as a symbol of power in a lot of mainstream, popular books, but they were also thought of as a symbol of evil. That was how much they were feared by humans.

Moreover, they said that only dragons could use black or white magic. I think I’d heard about this before.

“Humans cannot be born with those two types of magic.”

I stopped reading. If humans couldn’t be born with the ability to use white or black magic, then what did that mean about the Blanche family? They were born with white magic. Even if they payed the price for it.

Although the royal family had people they called black magicians, they technically didn’t count as black magicians. Even Hylli’s younger brother, who had a “pure lineage,” technically wasn’t one either. They were just able to use black magic through the family heirloom.

Because of that, the Blanche family was the only family in the entire continent that could use black or white magic and counted as actual users. Black magic belonged to the dragons which meant that humans couldn’t possess it, but if the Blanche family had it, then that meant…..

“Do I have to do more research about the creation of the Blanche family? But they’re so secretive, would they even have any books…..”

I pressed my temples as I paused.

When I looked next to me, Hestia was sprawled on the desk, asleep. She seemed exhausted–her posture looked incredibly uncomfortable, but she was deep asleep.

Thinking back, Hestia was incredibly knowledgeable when it came to the history of the empire. She was close with a lot of professors, and she had written a lot of manuscripts which gave her connections with authors, too, and she had a lot of unofficial information about the empire.

I should definitely ask Hestia when she wakes up, I thought to myself. I continued reading Caradil’s thesis.