29

I found myself thinking about the options he gave. Should I give up being Shunivalen? I’m skilled in a bunch of other things, so I could probably earn money through another route.

When I continued thinking and stayed quiet, Yves opened his mouth to speak. He seemed slightly peeved that I didn’t agree right away.

“Oh, right. If you go home without signing the contract, I’ll be punished because I didn’t accomplish my goal. I’ve gotten a lot of warnings before this: I might really die this time.”

Yves smiled as he talked about being killed.

“Look, look. The reaction’s already happening. The poison’s coming up because I told you our secret.”

Yves showed me the crescent moon tattoo on the nape of his neck. Thin, spidery black lines began forming out of the tattoo and spread onto his body. The lines continued to spread further down his neck and towards his face. Yves grasped at his neck and grabbed onto the table with his other hand, body tilted downwards. He seemed to be in immense pain; his breathing became ragged.

Yves faltered for a moment, then sighed as he took something that looked like an antidote out of his pocket and drank it. Even as the antidote began to work, he continued to stumble until he fell to the floor. I couldn’t help but help him up.

Yves’ face was a sight to see. Even though the poison had only worked for a short amount of time, his eyes had turned blue and the capillaries in his eyes had exploded. Yves muttered a few curses under his breath and held onto the desk to stand back up.

Yves, who seemed to be struggling to even move, turned around and grabbed onto my shoulder.

“Save me.”

Yves looked at me, then smiled pitifully.

___________________________

For the time being, I asked him to give me some time. I went home and dug through everything I could find about him. Then, I headed back to the headquarters after making my decision.

When I arrived at the room, Yvnes was already waiting for me. Even after waiting three days for my response, he didn’t seem like he planned to beg.

“Then I’m not contracted to any place, right?”

“You can just help me for a limited amount of time. Without being associated to me.”
“Can I join when I want and leave when I want (낄끼빠빠*)?”

“……..?”

Oops, I guess that with my recent dreams of my past, the slang seemed to have come with it.

“That’s……I can join in when I want, and get out when I feel like it?”

Yves just stared at me. He rolled his eyes for a bit and then nodded.

“Leave when you want.”

Seeing how he was saying that, it seemed like he was being honest……

The air around Yves was completely different from before. There wasn’t even a trace of a smile on his face. He wasn’t trying to look good towards me. He just dully stared at me with a cold gaze. This was probably his true self.

Yves looked tired in a lot of ways. He looked like he was exhausted, but he continued to answer every question I had.

“Payment is due whenever you’re requesting something from me. You pay before, not after.”

“Okay.”

I get paid per request, and I get to leave whenever I want. This was similar to my original work schedule.