Part 3

Chapter 3

The waves rocked the ship as the red woman looked at the Prince sitting in front of her with a complicated gaze, her eyes gleaming an ominous red as she gasped out.

"You truly are him!" she said reverently, and her words seemed to irk the Prince as he snarled in rage.

"I told you, I am not. I believe in no God, not the Seven nor this majestic Red God of yours," he said.

"You do not believe him despite being the bearer of his blessing, despite having witnessed his might yourself?" she questioned and saw the Prince's eyes narrow.

"This. This is no blessing from a God! I live because the blood of the Dragon flows through my veins!" he roared, and she shook her head.

"The Blood of Kings and Queens may flow through your veins, but many a King and Queen with the same blood have been burnt by fires much less hot than the one you were thrust into, yet you live, for you, my Prince is the champion of R'hllor himself, and bear his blessing," she began and when he was about to retort.

"I refuse to be the pawn of some damned diety, and I am Daemon Targaryen, son of Old Valyria itself. I serve no God," he retorted, and she smiled.

"Valar Morghulis," she iterated and saw his eyes tighten as he finished.

"Valar Dohaeris."

"All men must serve, and you, my Prince, shall be the champion of Light in the upcoming battle against the Great Other. The Azor Azhai, the hero who shall save this world from plunging into unending darkness," she said and saw the Prince's eyes tighten as his fists balled up, the fire in the room cackling as she narrowed her eyes.

"You! You are already aware of the enemy," she gasped out when she noticed how the Prince's eyes had tightened at the mention of the 'Great Other.'

Yet the Prince answered her no more as he asked a question of his own.

"Where are you taking me?" he questioned, and she took a second to compose herself before she answered.

"To the place where you shall see the truth, see your true destiny..." she began as she glanced out the window.

"...to Volantis."

0000

SER JAMIE LANNISTER

Jamie had seen much in his life since he had donned the white cloak. He had seen the King force himself on his wife daily, seen him berate his own father, watched him shrink away from shadows. He had watched Felsh peel off of men as the fire roared around them, burning them till nothing remained of them but charred bones.

He had seen nearly every atrocity one could think of happen in front of his eyes as he stood beside the cackling form of their monarch as he burnt off men for nothing but a simple jape. Yet, even with all the atrocities he had seen, he was glad that he had joined the Kingsguard when he had, for otherwise, he would have been forced to witness the tragedy that had taken place in these Halls just some years prior to when he had donned the cloak.

The tragedy that was the burning of Prince Daemon Targaryen. Many whispered of it to this day, of how the King had condemned his own son to the most cruel death. They spoke of the roaring flames that touched the ceiling, of a fire that ran so hot that it nearly melted the very barrel in which it was lit.

And they spoke of screams. Screams that are said to have shaken the very foundation of the Red Keep. Jamie had been acquainted with the given Prince. Both of them had met each other a few times, and he had been fond of the second son of King Aerys, who would often treat him like a younger brother. They would write to each other as well, and when the news of his death had come, it had shaken him to the core.