𝐌𝐎𝐂𝐊𝐈𝐍𝐆𝐉𝐀𝐘 ☘︎ 15

Start from the beginning

He's still in there. The person I once loved. And he's fighting. He's fighting to try and love me again. Like I love him. Because I realise, that even though I was going to throw an axe in his chest, I still do.

☘︎☘︎☘︎

Boggs calls Coin, trying to figure out what is actually going on. Finally, twenty five minutes later, he gets off it, and tells us in a flat voice. "They want us to add him to the propos. Make sure he's on our side."

"But is he actually on our side?" I speak up.

"He's not in control of himself," Gale shakes his head.

"Let's just get some sleep. We'll move forward a few blocks tomorrow, shoot the new footage," Boggs takes the more trusting approach.

"I say we schedule an around the clock watch on him," Jackson, who actually knows what she's talking about, says. "So the Leegs till seventeen hundred. Holmes and Mitchell till nineteen hundred..."

"Give me a watch," I impulsively say.

Jackson turns round and raises her eyebrows. "And you think that, if it came down to it, you could kill him?"

"That wouldn't be killing Austin," my face hardens. "That would be killing a Capitol mutt."

"I'm not sure that kind of comment puts you in the running for the job either, soldier," Jackson says, almost ironically.

But Boggs (the only person Jackson answers to) steps forward. "Put her in the rotation."

Then he marches outside. I go to follow him, and nobody complains.

"He's gonna try to kill me," I state when I reach him, standing about five metres away from the building we're hiding out in. "Especially with all that's going on."

Boggs, who's looking at the broken scenery, doesn't even turn around. "We'll keep him contained."

I say the thing that's on my mind the most. "Why would Coin do this?"

He turns to face me. "Here's all I know. It was Austin that she wanted rescued from the arena. She never liked you. She doesn't like anybody or anything she can't control."

"So she would put my life in danger?" Coin's obviously been plotting a lot more than I thought.

"She'd deny it, but..." Boggs obviously knows her in and out.

"What?"

"Look. One way or another this war's going to come to an end. A free election's been promised. Maybe she's starting to see you as a threat."

I laugh bitterly. "Boggs, no one in their right mind would ever choose me as a leader-"

"But you'd throw your support to somebody, would it be her?"

This question makes me falter as Boggs goes on. "If your immediate answer isn't Coin, then you're a threat. She doesn't need you around to unite anyone anymore, these propos could be done without you. There's only one thing you can do now to add more fire to this rebellion."

I look down.

"Die."

"But Willow, that's not gonna happen on my watch," Boggs promises. "I'm planning for you to have a long life."

"Why? You don't owe me anything," I tilt my head.

Boggs looks me in the eye. "Because you've earned it."

☘︎☘︎☘︎

That night, Gale and I land ourselves on the same watch. However, he knows I'm not going, he knows I can't leave now.