1.

RUN BOY RUNchapter one

RUN BOY RUN
chapter one

with wide eyes, miwa ren stared at the woman in front of him. he glanced at the pamphlet but didn't let his eyes rest on it for too long. shodoshima is small and one of the only entertainment they have are their baseball games, but for a scout from tokyo to think about it long enough to get on a seven-hour train ride and then a ferry to boot was simply unheard of.

and now ren had to reject the offer. he felt bad after she'd travelled so far, sure, but that wasn't enough for him to go back to baseball much less somewhere in tokyo! he had family and friends he'd like to keep, thank you very much.

"i'm a second year in junior high, ma'am." he said, the eyes of his older brother burning holes into his back.

the woman who'd introduced herself as takashima rei, giggled softly, covering her mouth with her hand, "yes, i'm aware."

"i thank you for your offer but i still have a year before i can even think about going to high school." he smiled sweetly with his eyes closed, hoping takashima could figure out what he was trying to say and leave his humble little home.

and if she did, she pretended she didn't. "but after seeing your skills, i would regret if someone came to scout you before me. so i wish you think about this offer and come play with us in a years time."

what the fuck. "i quit." he states, keeping his composure by a hair.

"i'm sorry?"

"i apologize to have taken up your time and i appreciate the time taken to come here but that game you saw was my last as a baseball player." if his brother wasn't there, miwa ren was convinced he would already have blown a fuse.

"and may i ask you why?"

there it was. the question ren had been dreading hearing because how would he explain that he'd simply played baseball because he was good at it to a scout for one of the best teams in the country? there was no way they took playing as lightly as he did. and there was no way they would forgive him for taking it so lightly.

he took a moment to think of a right sounding response, not wanting to sound as cocky as he felt in that moment. "i don't fancy the sport much," and then he added, "anymore." just in time so it would sound like he'd enjoyed it at least a bit before.

"i see." takashima nodded, sounding disinterested in the excuses.

miwa akinori, ren's older brother left the room for a short while that moment and the moment he was gone, far away from hearing distance, the persona miwa ren had carefully built for his family crumbled in mere seconds.