3. The devil is in the details

The fateful night

Kyle POV

With its vibrant atmosphere and rich history, Puerta del Sol attracts locals and tourists, creating a bustling scene day and night. Families might go for pizza, and lovers might try the quiet coffee shop with live music. Creatures from all over the world come to observe the mystical energy emanating from the Kilometer Cero. The main attraction was the Golden Clock Tower, which witnessed the fall of the last vampire dictator Western Europe ever had.

Kyle had always found solace in the bustling atmosphere of Puerta del Sol, where the constant movement of people provided a comforting distraction from his thoughts. Tonight, the familiar sights and sounds seemed to fade into the background as he focused on his companion, admiring the light's reflection on the clock tower as sunset approached.

"Although it took some time to finish the renovations in Puerta del Sol, you have to admit that the fountain is a very nice addition," said a man in white clothes. His silver eyes and long hair tied in a ponytail contrasted with his companion's golden eyes and dark clothing.

Kyle replied, "Yes, but you gave too much leeway to Hell's agents. Though the design incorporated benches and walkable areas, you didn't add trees or areas with shade. Buildings enclose the area, so there is little wind. Due to climate change, summer temperatures will rise, making people cranky. Brawls might start just because people get sweaty and annoyed."

The man in white shrugged. "Well, they have a fountain, and we can provide some umbrellas and chairs during summer festivals."

Kyle facepalmed but continued, "Uriel, I know you love having a philosophical debate about the evils of urban development, but you didn't call me here to check on the architecture. So level with me. What's happening?"

Uriel's silver eyes shone, and he pointed at the food stall at the entrance of the busy metro station. "Puerta del Sol is a hotspot for paranormal activity, with ghosts and spirits lingering among the crowds of tourists and locals, like the girl there. She is a witch who uses potions in her food to soothe the hearts of travelers, and she is one of our agents, of course. However, haven't you noticed there is more activity than usual?"

Kyle nodded.

Uriel's voice turned stern. "Hell also has agents, and they found you, brother. A group is coming after you. I am not sure how much time you have. Our double agents might buy you some days, but you must move out of where you live now."

Uriel's presence reminded Kyle of his divine connections, starkly contrasting the mundane reality he often inhabited. The sense of urgency was palpable, and Kyle couldn't help but feel a twinge of frustration. Despite his attempts to lay low, Hell's agents seemed to be closing in on him. Kyle's voice turned into a deep growl, "I am on it already."

Uriel acted as if he didn't notice the change in mood and excitedly exclaimed, "Great, then everything is arranged. You know, I haven't been in this town in 13 years. I am aching for some food; what about some paella?"

Kyle shrugged. "Sure, where do you want to go?"

"What about the nice place in El Retiro Park?"

Kyle shook his head. "Nah, it must be already closed at this hour."

"And the one in Cibeles?" Kyle scratched his head. "Yeah, that one caters to guests until 2 a.m., I think."

"Okay, let's go," said Uriel, heading to the metro station.

Kyle followed and tried to stop him; he touched his shoulder and made him turn back to him. "Hey, wait, why don't we just teleport?" Kyle asked.

Uriel looked at him. "Brother, when I say the spies from Hell are up to something, I seriously mean it. It would be best to lay low, like a human with a low level of magic. They will trace any source of divine magic in Madrid until they find you. So no teleportation."