Author's note

Prompt 91. Your roommate is the devil. Surprisingly, he is the best roommate you ever had.

Secondary prompt Spanish ONC 2024: "Seems like you've lost your job, but you're good at making tamales, so you decide to start your own business in the field. The problem is, it looks like you've stumbled upon the tamale mafia because your competitors are putting obstacles in your way at every turn."

The resulting recipe for disaster is as follows:In the heart of a bustling city, Lucas finds himself at a crossroads after a tumultuous breakup. Enter Kyle, his new roommate with a devilish charm and a penchant for mischief. Together, they embark on a culinary adventure, launching an empanada business that soon attracts attention from both mortal and supernatural forces.As they navigate the cutthroat world of small business and uncover the bizarre secrets lurking beneath the surface, Lucas and Kyle's friendship blossoms into something more. But when Kyle's true identity as the devil is revealed, their bond is tested as they confront a conspiracy that threatens to tear their world apart.With infernal ingredients and devilish wit, they face off against rival vendors, corrupt officials, and otherworldly beings in a battle for culinary supremacy and supernatural survival. Can their love withstand the trials of Hellish intrigue and empanada troubles, or will the flames of chaos consume them?

Wikipedia summary of both recipes: 

Tamales

Empanadas

Empanadas and tamales are both popular dishes in Latin American cuisine, but they have some key differences:

Ingredients and Preparation:

Empanadas: Empanadas are savory pastries with various ingredients, such as meats, cheeses, vegetables, and fruits. The filling is enclosed in dough, typically made from wheat flour or cornmeal, and then the empanadas are baked or fried until golden brown. 

Tamales: Tamales are made by spreading masa (a dough made from cornmeal) onto a corn husk or banana leaf, then filling it with a mixture of meats, cheeses, vegetables, or sauces. The corn husk or banana leaf is then folded over the filling and steamed until the tamale is cooked.

Texture and Taste:

Empanadas: Empanadas have a flaky, crispy crust on the outside and a soft, savory filling on the inside. The filling can vary widely in flavor and texture depending on the ingredients used.

Tamales: Tamales have a soft, slightly dense texture due to the steaming process. The masa dough is moist and tender, while the filling adds layers of flavor and richness.

Varieties:

Empanadas: Empanadas come in many different varieties, with regional variations in filling and preparation. Some common types include beef, chicken, cheese, and vegetable empanadas.

 Tamales: Tamales also come in various flavors and fillings, with regional specialties like pork tamales, chicken tamales, and sweet tamales filled with fruits or chocolate.

Serving Style:

Empanadas: Empanadas are typically served as a snack or appetizer but can also be enjoyed as a main course. They are often served with dipping sauces or condiments on the side.

Tamales: Tamales are traditionally served as a main course, often accompanied by rice, beans, or other side dishes. They are usually eaten with hands, unwrapping the corn husk or banana leaf to reveal the tamale inside.

Tamales Vs. Empanadas

In a hypothetical war between empanadas and tamales lovers, it's difficult to determine a clear winner because both dishes have passionate followings and unique qualities that appeal to different tastes and preferences.

Empanadas might have the upper hand in terms of convenience and versatility. They can be quickly eaten on the go and filled with various ingredients to suit different tastes. Additionally, their crispy exterior and savory fillings can be irresistible to many.

On the other hand, tamales have a rich cultural heritage and are often associated with tradition and celebration. Their soft, steamed texture and complex flavors can evoke comfort and nostalgia for many people.

Ultimately, rather than waging war, it's more likely that empanadas and tamales lovers would come together to celebrate the diversity and richness of Latin American cuisine, recognizing that both dishes have their unique charm and place at the table.

Unless...

"Devilishly Delicious" is a heartwarming tale of love, friendship, and the power of empanadas to unite even the most unlikely of allies. Prepare for a spicy adventure filled with laughter, romance, and devilish charm.