Chapter 1 - The Prelude

Start from the beginning

But her childhood had been filled with love from him.

And for him, she nodded, "I'll help you" she said, looking at her uncle, "but I'm not selling my company" she said hurriedly, looking the smile spread across her aunt's face, "so you can call that man and tell him I'm not interested"

Her aunt frowned at her, "and how are you going to cough up so much money?"she growled.

She smiled at her aunt, "I'll let you know when I think of a solution"

She flinched as her aunt lunged forward, "RAJJO!" Her uncle shrieked in surprise.

"I'm not going to hit her" her aunt shushed him, as she grabbed her shoulders with such force that Geet winced.

" Listen to me very carefully Geet  - If my son goes to jail because of you, Rab ki kasam, I will destroy everything that belonged to your mom and dad, and this bloody company. I'll ensure you can never even lay a hand on that haveli"

Tears stung her eyes, and Geet blinked furiously to push it away, "understood" she mumbled, wondering why how long she was going to let this woman do this to her.

Taking a few deep breaths to compose herself after they left, Geet pulled her laptop close, opening her calendar to cancel all the appointments this week.

Picking up the phone, she dialled Anjali, her lawyer and her best friend, "Anj, I need an update about the property." she said as soon as her friend picked up the phone, without even waiting for her friend to say hello.

It had taken a hell a lot of courage to sneak around behind her aunt's back to get the documents of her parents property

As soon as she had laid her hand on it, she had wasted no time in sending a copy of it to her lawyer friend.

"Good news or bad news first?"

Sensing that the worst was yet to come, she gulped, "give me the bad one first"

"There's a property dispute on the land the house was built"

Geet's heart sank.

"But that's not it" Anjali went on, "Uncle Ji mortgaged the property 20 years ago and the release of the property is now set to 45 crores"

"45 CRORES!!!!"

"Yep, the good news is - I can easily sway the property dispute in your favour. And your uncle and aunt don't have any rights on this. It's all yours - but for it to be yours, you need to pay the bank 45 crores"

You need to pay the bank 45 crores

The words kept ringing in her ear all day. How on earth was she supposed to manage that money?

Even if she sold the entire share of her ownership in her company to the man her aunt was mentioning about, it wouldn't work out to even half that amount.

****

Maan frowned, skimming through the contents of the email he had just received gave him a headache - it was from the operations head of one of his companies asking if he would be available to meet the owner of an exciting new business.

The email went on to gush about how much this small family business had grown in 2 years and why he thought it would be a great idea to collaborate with them.

Maan rolled his eyes and was about to press 'delete' when the name caught his eye.

GH Interiors.

Why did that ring a bell. Pressing a finger to his temple, he closed his eyes, raking his mind as to why on earth that name sounded so familiar.

Then he remembered.

With a smile, he picked up the intercom

"Y-y-yes sir?"

"Adi, find out everything you can about Geet Handa. 1 hour"

He didn't wait for an answer before slamming the phone down. Grabbing the papers his lawyers had sent him, he pushed back his chair as he stood up.

He had read through these contracts once and he knew his lawyers had done a stellar job of including everything he has asked to be included. The other contract that they had sent over was tight too - there was no way anyone could work that to their advantage.

If his Dadi wanted him to play this game, he was ready for this.

And he was going to do it his way.

****** To be continued ******