𝟬𝟮𝟭, 𝗹𝗲𝘁'𝘀 𝗻𝗼𝘁 𝗼𝘃𝗲𝗿𝘁𝗵𝗶𝗻𝗸 𝗶𝘁

Start from the beginning

the fluorescent lights hum overhead as zara and lena are at target with xavier, matt, nick, and chris. it's new year's eve, and the group has decided to spend the afternoon together, searching for inspiration to kickstart their resolutions for the upcoming year.

before they go to a party and do everything they shouldn't do, they want to purchase something that will help them be on a start to a new version of themselves. inspirational stuff really.

zara and lena found themselves drawn to the books section. lena wants to read more classics to attract a smart british man, while zara wants to explore different genres and just enjoy reading like she used to when she was younger.

meanwhile, chris and xavier completely missed the point. they are already distracted by the demonstration nintendo switch set up nearby. they're grinning as they scream and argue over mario kart as if they aren't legal adults.

nick and matt are much more on task. they wander the aisles together and nick considers taking up gardening. that's how zara knows he's lost. gardening is crazy. matt however wants to start writing more, as he feels like there's a lot in his brain.

zara can confirm that fact, especially after all their late-night conversations about anything and everything. matt likes to act tough in front of people, but zara likes to think she gets the softer, more authentic side of him when it's just the two of them.

lena drifts away to explore other aisles, and zara finds herself alone amidst the rows of books, her attention drawn to the colorful spines lining the shelves. she's lost in thought, contemplating which books to add to her new collection, when she feels a gentle touch on her waist, causing her heart to skip a beat.

turning around, zara finds matt standing behind her, a faint smile playing on his lips as he holds two different journals in his hand. his presence sends a surge of warmth through her, and she can't help but return his smile.

yeah. zara likes matt. she couldn't help it! at first, matt was just her friend. she thought never in a million years would it be matt. if anything, she was sure it would be chris.

oh how she was wrong!

shortly after becoming friends with matt, they became best friends. they would do everything together. naturally, zara being just a girl, she caught feelings for him. it was easy. he charmed her with his personality and his stupid smile.

she knows he's a player and all that, but when he does... anything really, zara feels her stomach flip. he makes her nervous when he looks at her, when he smiles at her, and when he makes the conscious effort to always be next to her.

so cliche, but she couldn't help herself.

"hey," he says softly, his voice warm and familiar. "which one do you think i should get?"

zara's gaze flickers between the two journals, noting the differences in design and size. she takes a moment to consider before gesturing to the one on the left. it's a simple brown one with a tree engraved in it. "i like that one," she says. "it's very you."

matt nods in agreement, a soft chuckle escaping his lips. "z knows best." zara feels a rush of warmth at his words, her cheeks flushing slightly. what the fuck! he said one thing and she's acting like she's in middle school still. get a grip.

as matt slips the chosen journal into his basket, he turns his attention back to zara. "so, what book are you getting?" 

zara shrugs, scanning the shelves once more. she looks down at the dune trilogy she has in her left hand, then the dolly alderton book tucked under her arm. "i'm not sure yet," she admits. "maybe one of these two." she shrugs. "but i also kind of want to read a mystery book."