"It's just her way of showing that she cares, she doesn't know how to show love in the way your mother does," Elijah assured her, knowing first hand how overbearing his mother could be, "But I'll be sure to tell her to back off."

"Don't be too harsh, just remind her that we don't need a nanny, I will be fine looking after my baby in the same way my mother looked after me," Florence smiled, appreciating how above and beyond he had gone for her and the baby with no obligation to.

"Noted," Elijah smiled, "What are your plans for the rest of the day? I've got a meeting in central Birmingham."

"I was expecting to spend the day here as I always do," Florence sighed, "Would you drop me off in Small Heath instead? I fancy paying my mother a visit."

"You feel up to it?" Elijah asked, concerned for Florence's well being ahead of the baby's arrival.

"It's just my mother's house, what's the worst that could happen?" Florence grinned as she led Elijah out of the soon to be nursery, the pair heading down the bare hallway towards the staircase. Since moving into what Richard and Margaret referred to as the 'cottage' Elijah and Florence had been busy making alterations to the house to suit their taste.

Florence knew the house existed, but it had been vacant as long as she'd been friends with the boys. She assumed that the real reason she and Elijah were given it was to keep them close, with the house being less than thirty minutes by foot from Harrington House. Calling their new home a cottage was a ridiculous understatement, it had six bedrooms, a drawing room, dining room, library and study.

The Dawson girl also found it incredibly difficult to get used to having staff to do everything. There were maids, butlers and footmen to do everything, she couldn't even move to make herself a cup of tea before one of them did it for her. She knew that Elijah was used to it, but she couldn't tell if he liked it or not. But Florence was also aware that by being there those people were employed, they were being paid by the Harringtons, and she wasn't going to cease that employment and put their livelihoods at risk.

"You promise you'll find a way to get hold of me if you need me?" Elijah said to Florence as he helped her out of the car in front of her mother's house on the ever so familiar Watery Lane.

"Of course," Florence nodded, "But please just remember that you aren't responsible for keeping me and the baby safe, I'm perfectly capable."

"I don't doubt it," Elijah assured her, "But I did make wedding vows, and real or not I'm a man of my word."

"I don't think I tell you enough just how much I appreciate what you've done for me, or for us," Florence smiled at him as they stood on the pavement, cradling her baby bump, "Who knows what might have happened if I'd refused your offer that night."

"Well look at us now," Elijah remarked, conscious of the passersby who might recognise them and close proximity to the home of the Shelby family as he wrapped his arms around the girl, "I know it's only been four months, but I don't regret it, any of it."

"Thank you," Florence smiled as she clung onto him, "Now, don't let me keep you from your meeting, I'll see you later."

"Alright," Elijah nodded, "I'll pick you up this afternoon?"

"Perfect," She replied as he climbed back into the car.

"Give Imelda my love," He smiled as he started up the engine.

"Of course," Florence grinned as she waved him off before returning her attention to her mothers door, knocking on it, and then feeling odd that she didn't live there anymore.

The door opened and Imelda stood there in shock, her hair scraped back and her eyes so tired it seemed that she had been working tirelessly since her daughter had left.