• e i g h t •

FOUR KIDS WERE EATING LUNCH, GATHERED AROUND A CONCRETE WALL WHICH OVERLOOKED A FOUNTAIN

FOUR KIDS WERE EATING LUNCH, GATHERED AROUND A CONCRETE WALL WHICH OVERLOOKED A FOUNTAIN. ROGUE WALKED BY HOLDING A TRAY OF FOOD. SHE OVERHEARD WHISPERING BEHIND HER BACK.

Rogue's food sat ignored on a bench as she sat, watching a basketball game. None of the other kids acknowledged her. Rogue hung her head, a tear spilling from one eye. A voice called out to her quietly.

"Rogue." Bobby was standing in the shadows of the trees.

"Bobby-"

"Rogue, what did you do?" He asked her, with a hint of anger.

"I didn't mean to." Rogue admitted. "I didn't want Grace to die."

"You don't ever use your powers against another mutant." Bobby argued.

"But, I had no choice-"

"If I were you, I'd get myself out of here." Bobby interrupted her.

"What do you mean?" She asked.

"I mean the students are all freaked." Bobby scoffed. "Professor Xavier's furious. I don't know what he'll do with you. I think it'll be easier on your own." Bobby watched as Rogue was crying. "There's a train station a mile up the road- west of here. You should go."

Before Rogue could reply, Bobby walked away from her.

Grace walked down the gardens to the garage. She slowly opened the door to see Scott inside. "Hey, Cyclops."

Scott turned around to see her standing in the doorway. "You know you can call me Scott." She gave him a small smile. "What are you doing here? Isn't it lunch time?"

"I came to thank you, and to apologise to you." She opened up her backpack to take out two containers. "And to bring you lunch."

"You don't have to thank me. It's what we do. We help." Scott put down a spanner he was holding and took one of the containers off Grace. He opened it and smelt the food. "And this will make up for you being mean to me when we met."

Grace laughed. "You saved me twice. I owe you." Grace looked around the garage to see Scott was fixing up a bike. "Nice, you've got a XL1200C." She walked over to the bike. "It's a work of art."

"Bike nerd?" Scott laughed as he took a bite out of his lunch.

"I helped my grandpa fix up a '48 Panhead a few years ago." She ran her hand across the handlebars.

"My dad used to say that the Panhead was the best-"

"Harley-Davidson bike ever made." Grace finished his sentence. "Yeah, gramps and I always said that."

"Just have to put the finishing touches on it. Wanna help?" Scott asked Grace, whose face lit up.

"Uh, yeah." Scott and Grace both started to work on the bike. "You don't like him very much, do you?"