'That's our lesson for today,' Twain dismissed his interns. He returned the patient's chart to its holder and stood up.

'Thank you Nurse Julia,' he nodded to her in the same dismissive manner. Julia smiled uncomfortably and dragged herself away.

Twain started to speak to Macy again, but she just knew he was not physically with her. His eyes became distant. 'When I got to Sudan, I found my cardiology skills not much in need,' he smiled wryly.

Without either of them noticing it, they were strolling out one of the balcony doors into the patio. Macy's attention was focused on every word Twain was speaking.

'I thought, when I got there, I would be treating patients with viral infections and under nourished children, instead ___ all I saw were literally hundreds and hundreds of child soldiers ___ young boys in puberty fighting a meaningless war.'

Macy gasped. She'd only vaguely heard the details of the barbaric war there between rivalling factions.

Twain inhaled before he continued. 'One of the greatest needs there Macy,' she held her breath at his use of her Christian name, 'was for orthopaedic surgeons. 'More than sixty percents of the patients in the tents were the child soldiers ___ with broken limbs, or their hands or legs hacked off by rebel fighters.

Macy puffed, decrying the senseless violence of wars. She wanted to ask Twain so many questions, but she did not want to interrupt him for fear he'd stop speaking. She wanted to hear what he'd been doing during those ten years

'I went to London for a short period,' he continued grimly. 'I completed a six month program in orthopaedics and returned to Sudan,' he looked at her then and smiled. ' I can probably operate on a patient's limbs now with my eyes closed,' he smiled humourlessly.

That is why he went to London!

He said "one of the needs" - she wondered what the other was and instinctively knew he would not be telling her. Macy just stared at Twain helplessly. His eyes seemed to hold so many demons. She had so many questions. A stupid thought came into her head. She wanted to hug him, but quickly perished the thought. She was glad Twain finally returned to civilization.

'So that's why you responded to the emergency call in the early hours of this morning?'

He suddenly looked her way as if only now realizing she was there. As they continued to gaze at each other, Macy saw the raw intensity in his eyes. Gooseflesh prickled her skin. She wanted to look away, but was mesmerized by his hypnotic eyes.

'I was wide awake,' he shrugged, 'so I figured I'd put the time to good use,' he spoke, matter of fact and started walking again.

Why was he wide awake at two o' clock in the morning? Late night with a lover, perhaps?

'Be seeing you Dr. Skye,' he nodded coolly and rushed out of the ward.

Even though he entered the Paediatrics Ward, he could not be accused of dilly dallying there. Why does he rush out of here like the place has leprosy?

She was visited by Twain again the next day. 'Good afternoon, Macy.'

The mouse was hastily employed to minimize the page on her screen, she looked over her shoulder wearily. Twain was standing there with his hands in his pockets.

'Cardiology is on the fifth floor. Management on the seventh,' she murmured.

'Why do you look so guilty, Dr. Skye?' he murmured seductively, drawing closer to her chair. He leaned over her shoulder, reached out and maximized the screen. 'Looking at porn, doctor?' he teased.