Chapter Five

I sipped at the broth of my soup as my eyes stared at the TV screen. A blanket laid over my lap to keep me warm as I watched my favorite show. I'm all caught up but I like rewatching it from time to time.

The light of the TV flashed over me, filling the living room. No other lamps were on.

I tapped my spoon against the rim of the bowl in thought.

It's Friday night, and tomorrow I'm scheduled to go to Mom's house with Sukuna. I'm mentally preparing for a weekend with her. I love her, but with Sukuna around, she gets a bit... nosy.

My phone started ringing from the coffee table. I glanced down and saw it was Suguru calling. I put my phone in my lap and answered, putting him on speaker.

He was the first to speak, "How are you doing?"

"Pretty good," I answered, "I've gotten all caught up on sleep. I took an epic nap today. Nanami was so right about taking a day off."

Suguru chuckled, "I'm glad to hear that. How did the art museum go with Sukuna the other day?"

Of course, that's his first question, "It was actually closed, so we went off and did... other things." I mentally face-palmed. I'm not trying to hide it from him, but I'm scared of how he'd react.

He's my best friend, I shouldn't be scared of him like that.

I heard shuffling in the background as he spoke again, "Ah, well, Satoru's at a business meeting. He said he probably won't be home till late. Mind if I come over? You can tell me more about your date, yeah?"

I stared down into my soup and bit my lip, "Sure, I don't mind."

"I'll be over in ten." He hung up and I let out a deep breath. I saw that Sukuna had texted me, and suddenly that sinking feeling I felt, disappeared. I haven't talked to him since yesterday.

Sukuna - Hey

Me - Hey, how's it going?

He looked at the message but took a long time to reply. I was starting to get nervous, and when I read his next message, I felt my heart drop.

Sukuna - I won't be able to go with you this weekend. I forgot Yuji had some school thing I said I'd go to.

Me - That's ok. Thank you again for yesterday

Sukuna - Don't forget to clean the piercings.

I smiled to myself and assured him I was taking care of it. He had written out instructions for me and gave me some stuff to keep the piercings clean after we left the tattoo parlor.

I slouched down on the couch and texted Sakura that Sukuna won't be coming this weekend.

A soft knock at the door caught my attention. Before I could respond, Suguru stepped in.

I smiled over at him, "Hey."

He glanced over me as he shut the door and walked over to me, "Are you sure you're feeling better? You look sad."

"Oh, Sukuna and I were planning on hiking this weekend but... he canceled just now," I set my soup on the coffee table and watched as Suguru sat beside me. He was further away than he would usually be, I felt relieved that he was starting to respect the rules I had put in place.

"Did you get your ears pierced?" Suguru's eyes caught the light glinting off the black studs.

I flushed red and lowered my head, covering my ears gently with my hands, "Y-Yes."

"You look embarrassed, but they look good," Suguru's soft voice caused me to lower my hands and look up at him.

"You really think so?"