"Should I go to the Black Lion." He asked.

"What?" Polly scoffed, walking through to the house. "Should I go there and see him?" John repeated. "No." Polly replied bluntly.

"Where the fuck is Arthur?"

"Protecting the Garrison's whiskey from the police." She said. John closed over the doors and joined his aunt in the house. "Polly, it feels a little bit to me like things are getting out of hand."

Madeline shook her head once the doors were closed. He asked too many questions. "Stupid boy," she muttered under her breath.

"Who's a stupid boy?" A voice spoke from across the table. Madeline quickly looked up and locked eyes with a boy who was not too much older than Finn with a cigarette perched between his lips. "Can I help you?" She asked, placing down her pencil.

The boy smirked and stifled a laugh. Before he could say anything, Finn came back from the office. "Isiah that's John's wife, Madeline, don't you dare answer her question." Finn warned, knowing exactly what type of response his best friend would have.

Isiah put his hands up in defence and nodded. "Yes sir," he said sarcastically. "Nice to meet you, Madeline." Isiah nodded his head forward, discreetly admiring her looks.

Finn was quick to smack him on the arm while passing the table. "I won't tell you again, Siah."

Isiah laughed loudly and shook his head. "My apologies." He sighed with a wide grin still sat on his lips. Madeline raised her eyebrows in amusement. "Nice to meet you too, Isiah."

"Please— sweetheart, the pleasures mine." Isiah sent her a friendly wink and put his cigarette out on the ashtray in front of him.

"Keep your dick in your pants, Isiah. We have places to be." Finn shoved his shoulder and went to retrieve his coat from beside the door. "I'm only joking with her, Finn. I ain't offended you have I? If i've offended you—"

"No, you've not offended me." She cut him off. Isiah relaxed his shoulders and nodded. "Well, have a nice day." He quickly dismissed himself and caught up to Finn who had just closed the door.

Madeline sat working for another ten minutes before John left the living room, a somewhat annoyed look painted across his features. "Everything okay?" Madeline asked.

John hummed and grabbed his cap from the table. "I'm off to pick Katie up from school. Apparently she told Pol she wanted me to get her for once." He said, leaning down to place a kiss on Maddie's forehead.

She looked up at him and nodded. "She'll like that." Maddie agreed. John smiled slightly and leaned down again, this time placing a kiss on her lips and holding her chin between his thumb and finger.

"I'll see you in a bit. You can go home if you like— Polly can get someone else to finish the count." John assured her.

"Okay." She said, watching him leave the den through the same door Isiah and Finn had.

A strange pit of happiness lingered within Madeline after he'd kissed her. Been married for a year and yet she still couldn't get used to it all. Since being away from home and in the comfort of John's company, she found it a lot easier to not miss home as much. Although she managed to get over the home sickness, it still felt like a part of her was missing.