Chapter 15: Turning Point

Start from the beginning

Theo, for once, hadn't told anyone about it either. He hated keeping secrets from his best friends, but he knew the seriousness of the situation. Last night, when he found out, he practically pleaded Mattheo to ignore it. Ignore the letters, the noise, the anxious feeling that crept over him. That was easier said than done, Mattheo thought.

"Have any of you seen Enzo?" Theo asked, looking down at Mattheo and Blaise as they sat in the grass.

"No?" Blaise replied, "he was out of bed before I woke up."

Theo stilled, taking a moment to reflect. "I can't find him," he explained, "he promised he'd help me with Astrology."

Mattheo shrugged, trying to deflate the nervousness that displayed on Theo's whole body. "I can help you, if you want."

Theodore shook his head. "Just help me find him, will you?"

Blaise sent Mattheo a glance, then stood up. Mattheo sighed quietly, but copied his motions. "Where have you checked already?"

After about an hour of looking for Lorenzo, Mattheo had resorted to trying to find him outside. Blaise and Theo were looking through the castle, and Draco had been ordered to wait in their dorm while he studied.

Mattheo was kicking a rock along the gravel path, not really paying attention when he heard a high-pitched cough. He stopped in his tracks, spinning around to figure out where it was coming from.

There was a second cough, and this time Mattheo could tell where it came from. He slowly headed toward the source of the sound. It came from the far side of one of the greenhouses.

Mattheo peered his head around the corner, his eyes widening at the sight. "Lorenzo?" He urged, stepping closer to his friend.

Lorenzo's eyes were closed, his head leant against the glass wall behind him. He was sat on the ground with his legs stretched out in front of him. To his right stood a half empty bottle of fire-whiskey.

Lorenzo didn't move when he heard his name being called. Mattheo crouched down in front of him. "What are you doing?" He grabbed the bottle from the ground, inspecting it thoroughly.

This caught Lorenzo's attention. He reached out and grabbed the bottle from Mattheo's firm grip. "Stop," he hissed, glaring at Mattheo through hazy eyes.

Mattheo took a deep breath. Lorenzo was clearly drunk. His pupils were dilated, he had dark bags under his eyes and a pink tint covered his cheeks, nose and ears.

Enzo aggressively put the bottle to his lips, taking a large sip. He avoided Mattheo's gaze. Lorenzo ran an anxious hand through his hair.

"What's the matter with you?" Mattheo questioned, his voice raising slightly. He looked at the brunette in front of him in disbelief.

Lorenzo's grip tightened around the bottle, his knuckles turning white. "It calms them down."

"What?"

"The voices."

Mattheo's eyes narrowed for a moment, he then realized that something deeper was going on, and his face softened. He sighed, changing positions so he sat down next to Enzo, his back pressed against the greenhouse.

He slowly reached out towards the bottle in Enzo's hand. Their eyes met, and Enzo looked unsure. Mattheo's hand reached the neck of the bottle and he gently took it away from him.

Lorenzo watched him like a hawk, expecting him to start yelling or telling him off, but instead, Mattheo put the bottle to his lips. "I could use some peace and quiet as well," he mumbled, using his sleeve to dry off his mouth. The taste was horrific, but the burning sensation in his throat felt amazing.

Lorenzo visibly calmed, closing his eyes and leaning his head back against the wall behind him. It was quiet for a while, the only sound coming from the birds chirping and the sound of liquid flowing around in the bottle every time Mattheo took a new sip.

Mattheo took a large gulp of the fire-whiskey, almost finishing it. "What do they say?" Mattheo asked, breaking the comfortable silence.

Lorenzo's eyes opened. He let out a hum. "The voices," Mattheo explained, "what are they saying?"

Enzo sighed loudly. "Everything and nothing," he mumbled, rubbing his eyes. He paused for a moment. "I just need them to stop."

Mattheo's expression saddened. He knew something was happening to Lorenzo, but he had no idea what it was. Or why it was happening at all. "How long has it been going on?" Mattheo questioned, struggling to put together the right words. His mind spun and his vision blurred.

"As long as I can remember," Enzo replied slowly, "but it's gotten worse recently."

Mattheo nodded, trying to grasp what was going on. He was slowly but surely feeling the effects of the fire-whiskey. It felt good.

Mattheo held out the almost empty bottle to Lorenzo. He took it, downing the remaining liquor in a mere second.

Mattheo watched in amusement. He didn't even hear the sound of hurried footsteps, getting closer to them in the gravel. "What?" A voice sounded. Both Mattheo and Lorenzo's heads shot up.

There stood Theo, his eyes wide and his mouth slightly open. "Are you drunk?" He asked, rushing towards them. He pulled the glass bottle out of Enzo's hand and tossed it so hard that it fell and shattered into a million pieces. Mattheo stared at it, his eyebrows raised. The shattered pieces glistened in the sun. It was quite pretty, Mattheo thought to himself.

The boy next to him let out a quiet laugh, unable to control his emotions anymore. He was clearly influenced. Mattheo looked at him, a smile forming on his face. Theo however, did not find it amusing at all. "You fucking morons!" He yelled, "it's barely midday? What if someone sees you?"

This only made the two boys laugh harder. Theo shook his head, running both his hands through his hair. "This is ridiculous. You're ridiculous!"

Mattheo scoffed, trying to stand up. His legs felt wobbly underneath him. "Quit it," he replied, glaring at Theo. He tried his best to sound put together, but he failed miserably.

There was a long pause. Theo looked at his friends in utter shock. It seemed as though a million thoughts crossed his mind. "Right," he replied, his voice cold and emotionless, "good luck getting back to the castle."

With those words, he turned around and left.

A/N

Trigger warning: underage drinking

I think this chapter is one of my favorite ones I've ever written. I love the last part. Things are happening now. It's getting quite intense.

I hope you enjoyed reading! I would love to hear some thoughts <3