Chapter 2

***

The vast expanse of the Empire housed countless fiefdoms.

Even a map spread across a large table couldn't encompass them all.

For a millennium, the empire had reigned over the continent, its territory boundless and its noble estates innumerable.

Powerful nobles maintained knights and private soldiers within their domains.

To assert their dominance, knights frequently engaged in duels.

Some earned renown through countless victories, while others hired mercenaries to defend the honor of their fief.

Yet, such clashes remained localized.

In the grand capital of the Empire, Siad, nothing of the sort dared to occur.

"Butler, are they truly all 'Tenearha'?"

"Yes. His Excellency, Marquis Knobel, is also present, so ensure utmost precision in your duties."

The Knights of Tenearha: an imperial order renowned for its strength.

It stood as the empire's most formidable military organization, gathering the finest swords within its ranks.

Even a child in the slums knew of its prowess, and an elderly man, feeble and frail, could not forget its grandeur and splendor.

For a thousand years, its sword and shield had safeguarded the imperial family.

Even the knights from distant provinces dared not approach its renown.

''Greetings, Tenearha, guardian of Siad."

Countess Herais curtsied.

She had never encountered so many Tenearha before, and she pondered whether it was appropriate for them to assemble like this without a formal state event.

Nevertheless, she managed to maintain her composure.

Her husband, Count Herais, was a member of the Tenearha, so the guests before her were all familiar faces.

"It's been a while, my lady. You look even more beautiful."

"I'm honored, Your Excellency, Marquis Knobel."

With utmost politeness, she welcomed her guests outside the sprawling count's mansion.

Her hastily assembled full-skirted dress radiated elegance.

"I apologize for the impertinence, but may I inquire if you've received any communication from Count Herais?"

"Ah... well..."

"I knew it! If we hadn't come to visit you, he wouldn't have shown his face today, especially on my birthday, that scoundrel!"

"Pechenik, I implore you to mind your language. You're embarrassing the Countess."

"I apologize, Countess. Count Herais hasn't kept his promise to me. May I wait for him inside?"

"Oh, yes, of course. I wasn't expecting you so unexpectedly, but I've been looking forward to seeing you sometime. The Count will be here shortly."

"Your ladyship possesses a gracious demeanor. I fail to comprehend why Count Herais remains absent."

"Ho-ho, you know he's fully engrossed in his duties... It's fortunate to have someone like you present. Come, let us retire inside."

Eight or nine of the Tenearha crowded into the count's mansion.

If they had appeared in their knightly attire, one might have assumed trouble was afoot, but she was relieved they chose plain clothing instead.