Chapter 2 London

I hadn't seen england its self in so long but London was the last place I had seen. I was sent here during Christmas 1916 but it had changed drastically in two years. Wooden frames on doors had become incased in iron. Cogs were placed into every street lamp and even the floor had become artificial. Or to me at least. Whilst I glared in amusement everyone else seemed to walk on by as if everything was normal.
"I did not realise how far behind France was but, this place is alien to me." Daveed claimed also watching in awe of the grand structures.
"So, what are you gonna do?" I asked him
"Well sir I am going to a conference to discuss your condition here in London before I will join you in Manchester where I am going to hopefully cure you." He explained to me.
"Cure me? How do you expect to cure a disease of the mind?" I question.
"Well mr Owen there is a new treatment doctors are working on to remove a memory, to cure your shell shock." He said while grinning at me.
"Has this been tested before?" I again question.
"That's the thing sir, you are how you say, the test subject!" He exclaimed with similar excitement as before the train.
"Wait Daveed! You drag me here to mess with my brain!" I argue
"No sir it- it is not like that I want to help." He pleads.
"I am going home." I turn and go to the train station with what little money I have left. I was leaving London.
As I walk away I hear Daveed's cries of desperation: "please sir!" "Do not go sir!"
I ignore it, after all I wont become a mindless zombie for the government. As i treck further through the streets the concrete jungle still wraps my mind. Where once was thatched roofs had now become steel industry. Where once people walked staggering and with lack of order. They now walk single file towards their places of Labour. It seemed even the people here were automated. I spot a taxi and I wave it down. Stopping with a jolt he opens the door and says.
"Where do you want to go good sir?"
"Could you take me to the nearest station that could take me to Manchester?" I reply.
"Of course son get in!" He replies enthusiastically.
He was an older man around late forty's. Grey locks trickle down to his shoulder with no other remarkable features other than a red almost blister on the tip of his nose.
"Just come back eh?" He asks me
"Come back from what?" I ask,
"The Great War boy!" He exclaims,
"Oh, oh yes I have." I slump more into the chair and lower my head in shame.
"You my friend have done your country proud, those Germans needed a good beating, eh!" He seems to be proud of the war?
"I had forgotten I was fighting the Germans to be honest." When your fighting you try and distance yourself from the enemy, give them a country title they are fighting for and then then the same as you.
"I don't know how it's all I was reading, but I tell you if I was young enough I would've been first in those bloody trenches and last to leave I will tell you that!" He slams his hands on the steering wheel after that claim.
"Oh would you, well sir if you were there you would have a different attitude i tell you that." A part of me cannot stand this man, but a part of me sees my past, once naïve self, in him.
"What? I assure you I would find great honour to be out there for my country, you young ones just don't get it, it's all about the mind with youse I mean look you've come home ok what's the issue with you, shell shock?" He seems to wrapped by his patriotism.
I grip my cast and lift it up.
"My hand sir, I've done my hand in." I look further down in shame.
"Well how've you done that?" He asks.
"I- well i fell into a crater left by artillery, -during a charge through no man's land." I look further when it's not even possible.
He is about to continue our conversation but I am saved by the repeated sudden jolt of the taxi coming to a stop.
"Well I'd love to keep chattin but you've got to get out and also that will be 5 quid." He informs me.
"Here." I dash him the money and leave, that was the first time I'd spoken about my time in the war to anyone but Daveed. I couldn't do it again.