With You - Sneak Peak [5 Chapters]

Start from the beginning

Only she and Zhang Yuxi stayed in the city all these years, trying to forge a path into the future despite the high cost of living. Both of them were high-functioning workaholics that lived on opposite sides of the city so they only met each other in person every few months.

Wei Xinyi's apartment was only a short walk from the hotel so she didn't need to use public transit or purchase a car and after an exhaustedly long elevator wait, she opened her apartment on the twelfth floor.

Zhang Yuxi was in a half-seated position on the couch, her legs propped lazily along the cushions while her shoulders were supported by the arm of the couch. She was in the midst of fiddling with her phone when the door opened, and she glanced up with a large smile.

Her words spoke against the smile as she taunted. "You ran off to work to avoid a blind date? That's a new one."

Wei Xinyi chuckled and she dropped her purse on the dining room table, pointing out. "You told me you'd feed me, where's the food?"

The two girls stared at each other for a moment and Wei Xinyi pouted. If any of her coworkers or staff were able to see her expression, they would swear up and down that she'd been possessed. She was always cold, and blunt, and she wouldn't hold back her opinions or bend down to anyone else which contrasted her great and elegant appearance. If she hadn't had that personality, though, she wouldn't be where she was and she'd be walked over or looked down upon due to possessing the very same, alluring face.

Alas, only Zhang Yuxi was present and she couldn't hold a straight face for long, her mouth twitching for a few seconds before she burst out laughing.

"You - you look like a lost puppy! How can you pout when you're nearly thirty?"

Wei Xinyi's hands flew up defensively in the air. "When was twenty-six almost thirty? You're older by four months!"

The other only shook her head and waved her toward her room. "Go get changed while I heat everything. By the way, Mother's been cautious about health lately after her aunt passed, she booked us an appointment for tomorrow."

Wei Xinyi nodded and made her way to the room. There were only a few things that kept her from leaving her job. One of them was the fact that she got paid on time and made a bit above the standard average salary for her position and the other... No weekends.

Over the years she'd actually ignored the second part of her benefits unless she promised to visit Zhang Yuxi or her siblings flew in. She opted to sleep in on Saturdays and do work while watching dramas and movies in the background.

Of course, she got paid worthwhile overtime.

Sundays, she'd go shopping for necessities, run errands, and go to the gym. If it weren't for an overtime hour cap, she'd work on Sundays too.

A moment later, Wei Xinyi emerged with a pair of white and grey plaid pajamas and another pair of pink and white plaid ones for Zhang Yuxi, which she left on the arm of the couch.

Wei Xinyi leaned against the very same couch arm and observed her best friend's back as she hovered over the rarely used stove. Really, that stove should have Zhang Yuxi's name on it since she was the only person who used it.

Neither friend spoke but the air was significantly lighter than when she was home alone, and she couldn't help but admit that she'd missed Zhang Yuxi. They had been thick as thieves during their childhood, they even shared the same baths when they were toddlers as their parents raised them together.

They pretty much had four parents, Zhang Yuxi's and Wei Xinyi's since they were so close. Neither family left their doors locked but both girls had each other's keys hung on their key chains and a designated futon in their closets ready to be laid out for sleepovers.