I Am the Apocalypse

Start from the beginning

One by one, the firefighters all filed in behind the two paramedics, each helping a victim or two into the hospital. Kelly and Ana were one of the last few to enter but were lucky enough to spot a familiar face a few feet away.

"Kendra." The Captain smiled, holding up a hand:

"Ana, Kelly." The doctor nodded, rolling a wheelchair over and doing the same

"Hope you guys ate a big breakfast." The Lieutenant joked as he helped a victim sit down.

She just rolled her eyes and turned to April.

"We're gonna have to start doubling up bays and separate the flu patients from the gas victims." Kendra instructed.

"Okay." The nurse turned to the crowd of patients chatting in the waiting room. "Everyone, may I have your attention please? Can I have your attention?"

Kelly watched as his old friend was ignored completely and decided to step in and help.

"Listen up!" He raised his voice a bit to get everyone to quiet down but not loud enough to accidentally incite a negative reaction from his wife.

April sent him a grateful nod before turning her attention back to the group.

"All right, we are going to have a very full day here. And I understand none of you feel well, but we're gonna need help from you as well as patience." She explained, politely. "If you're here because of the ammonia leak, I'm gonna need you on this side of the room when I say so. If you're here because of the flu or something non-life-threatening, I'm gonna-" The nurse suddenly paused as a sickly looking Middle Eastern man suddenly got up on a chair. "Sir, not yet, please. I need everyone-"

"If you thought Ebola was a nightmare, I Am the Apocalypse!" He proclaimed with a psychotic glint in his eye, reaching into his pocket and pulling out a live grenade before removing the pin. "Death to all Americans. You're all dead in two weeks. Allahu Akbar!"

Kelly suddenly sprinted forwards with Ana right behind him. He shoved both April to the floor and the sick man off the chair before turning to his wife. The Lieutenant pulled the Captain to the ground and covered her much smaller body with his own just as everything went black.

The brunette came to with a groan and a series of coughs, instantly aware of the extra mass pinning her down. It wasn't unfamiliar though. Kelly had a habit of playfully rolling on top of her when he didn't want her to get out bed yet. However, it was clear that this was completely different. This was the man's full dead weight crushing her and it had Ana looking up at his face as best she could, eyes widening at the red liquid dribbling down his chin.

"Kelly." She rasped, slipping one of her hands in between their torsos with the intent to apply a sternum rub but paused upon coming into contact with the sticky feeling of blood. "Kelly!"

The Captain applied as much pressure to the wound as she could, feeling her eyes burning with tears. Luckily, one of their fellow firefighters was close enough to hear her cries.

"Hey, hey, over here! It's Benson and Severide!" Otis yelled, sliding over to help.

"Hey, Kelly!" Peter rushed over and shook the Lieutenant slightly. "Kelly, you hear me?"

No response. Sylvie ran over as well and pressed her fingers to his radial and carotid arteries.

"It's a weak pulse." The blonde shook her head.

"He's got at least one wound on his chest." Ana called out, weakly.

"Trauma to his back as well. He's got shrapnel from the grenade." Peter realized, letting out a harsh breath at how small the Captain's voice sounded. "We need to get him off of her first. He could be obstructing her airway or-"