The Vampire's Bride -5

Chapter 5:

Alina's P.O.V:

I don't know how long I stood there after he left. I felt empty somehow, alone.

I wiped my cheeks with the back of my hands and went to the kitchen. Clearly I was losing my mind if I just kissed my nightmare. What came over me? It’s like I had no control over my emotions. It can’t just be physical attraction, can it? No, I’m sure it’s just that.

By now the omelette that I was making was completely burnt and inedible, so I took it off the burner and threw it in the trash can. I hate wasting food but I’d lost my appetite. I took the boiling water off the oven which had reduced to half its amount and poured some instant coffee mix into it and drank from it. It was too hot to, but the pain helped me forget some of my unease.

What happened today wasn't supposed to happen...but then again, what was I supposed to say? What am I supposed to do now? Things are so confusing...I can't even think straight. Why did Erick have to come back? Where was he until now? So many questions kept circling around my head but I had answers to none. I wasn’t even sure I wanted answers.

Finishing off the scalding hot coffee, I washed the cup and left it on the counter to dry. Then I took some ice cubes from my freezer and placed it on my burnt tongue to provide relief. I stopped being self destructive a long time ago, why start now that my life is finally going somewhere. I’m an editor in a fairly popular local magazine, I have an apartment of my own and I’m no longer that girl who couldn’t speak out to save her life. I can’t take three steps backwards just when I’ve taken two steps forward. Erick’s arrival can’t change things for me. I won’t give up the life I’ve made for myself just because I’m supposed to marry a vampire.

I sighed as I sat on my sofa and tried to think of a way to deal with my life, but I just didn't think I had the strength to fight anymore no matter what I thought. With Erick’s return and my dad’s worsening condition...I feel like my life is spiralling out of control.

Erick's P.O.V:

I swam harder, pushing my legs to their limit until my hands touched the other end of the pool seconds later. I didn’t stop. Turning, I swam even faster until my fingers again touched the other end of the pool not too long after. Frustrated, I rose from the water and pushed back blonde hair from my eyes and punched the side wall of the pool. The tile cracked and a chunk of cement and tile feel to the bottom of the pool.

Cussing, I got out of the pool and wrapped a towel around waist and started drying my hair with another one. Right now I was at my private beach house off the shore of Hudson Bay, a good four hours away from Alina’s apartment. I wanted so badly not to screw things up with her but in the end that was exactly what I did! Damn it!

But she wasn't making this any easier on me either. And why would she? What reason have I given her to trust me, ever? But I have to focus on making this work. Alina’s mother was a very close friend of my mother. And I want to honour her last wishes, not only for the reason that it’ll protect Alina, but for my sake as well. Vampires don’t have mates, no matter what modern fictions let everyone believe. But we remain faithful to the ones we choose and Alina had been chosen for me a long time ago. I might not have accepted that before but I do now.

I brushed back my hair from my eyes again. I really need to cut it short, it's getting too long for my liking. The swim helped a bit with the stress, I always swim when I'm stressed out, but it didn’t help me in finding answers to what I need to do next. I needed to form a plan to make things right, at least make things a little less awkward, but my mind kept going back to the kiss we shared.

It was the briefest kiss I’ve had in my entire life but it was also special. It felt like my whole body was on fire. She must have felt it too; I'd felt her shudder before she got all ninja and jumped away.

Damn! Focus Erick! Ok, so our wedding's pretty soon so I have to take care of the wedding preparations. It will be a private wedding, full vampire style. There will be vows and all but nothing fancy, but it’ll be in front of hundreds of witnesses, vampires mostly. And there will be the blood bond.

Blood bond binds two vampires (or a human and a vampire) to each other, forever. You have to drink the ceremonial blood that will be a combination of both of ours, after our blood has been accepted by the Gods as sacrifice. And then there was the fact about Alina turning into a vampire, I wasn't sure if Alina wanted to stay human or turn. If she did stay human, she will always be fragile and prone to danger and she’ll grow older. But I didn't want to force her into anything right now. She has to want to turn by herself, because she doesn't want to, she could become a very dangerous new born.

So I sat there on a bench, for how long I have no idea, debating on what to do the next day when I suddenly remembered her boss, Ryan.

That prick was taking my girl out somewhere and I really needed to interfere. And that's when a plan formed in my head.

I smirked; this is going to be very interesting...

################################################

Stay tuned for more.

I hope you liked this chapter. Please like and vote and comment and follow. And Enjoy!

LOVAGE!!!!!! ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♡♡♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥