𝟎𝟐𝟎. 𝐫𝐚𝐜𝐡𝐞𝐥 𝐫𝐞𝐭𝐮𝐫𝐧𝐬

Start from the beginning

"No, I believe you. If you say there's no reason, then there's no reason." There's definitely a reason behind her mood. "Simply nuts."

"Or bipolar. That's very big nowadays," I interject, smiling widely, and Dad chuckles beside me.

We then turn our attention towards Taylor who begins speaking rather loudly to Patty. "No, Patty, you're wrong. They built the fire to throw themselves on it when their families found them."

That sounds drastic...

I sigh. "This story again?"

"Taylor, you're crazy," Patty exclaims. "They built the fire so they could stay warm their first night here!" Since we opened at seven, Patty and Taylor have been arguing over this stupid story. Honestly, neither of them actually know what happened all those centuries ago.

"Patty, I am the recording secretary for the Stars Hollow City Council. I think I know how my town was founded!" I've heard that line already.

Lorelai groans. "Can nobody talk about anything but this stupid festival?" Her voice raises in volume, and everyone turns to look at her, surprised that she was the one to say that. "That came out a lot louder than it was supposed to, didn't it?"

Me and Dad nod. "Yep."

Dad steps away to serve customers while Taylor turns his argument towards Lorelai. "This festival is commemorating the founding of our town, young lady."

"I know, Taylor. I'm sorry," she replies.

"She's bipolar," Dad chimes in, and I chuckle.

"Really? But you're so young," Patty sighs.

"Uh, can I get you two anything else?" Dad asks, and they both shake their heads, and he steps away from the table to rejoin me and Lorelai at the counter.

"I don't know what is wrong with me," Lorelai says, her head falling into her hands. "This is a beautiful festival. People should be enjoying it."

"It's a crazy festival based on a nutty myth about two lunatics who in all probability did not exist." I like my dad's version of the story much better than the one Patty and Taylor tell. "And even if they did exist, they probably dropped dead of diphtheria before age twenty-four," he claims, and Lorelai grins, her hand hitting the table as Dad rambles on. "The town Stars Hollow probably got its name from the local dance-hall prostitute or two rich drunk guys who made up the story to make it look good on a poster."

"You are full of hate and loathing and I love it." I can't believe that Lorelai Gilmore— the one who loves every single festival— is revelling in the hate and loathing.

Dad leans forward on the counter. "It's so good to have someone to share this hate with besides Luce." I don't share the same level of hatred that Dad has but I do enjoy loathing the festival from afar from time to time.

Lorelai laughs. "My pleasure." Dad pours her another cup of coffee, and I look at the clock to see when Addy will show up so we can head to school. Addy is having a private teaching session with Lisa— Tristan's sister— tonight, and Tristan is planning to stop by later to check out the festival... for some reason.

I know that I'll have to bring him to a town festival one day, but I fear he'll run for the hills when he steps foot into the cotton-candy, Founders Day punch, sing-song nightmare that are Stars Hollow festivals.

"Hey, tomorrow, if you have time, I'm planning on despising everyone who says, "Hey, how's it going?" Are you in?"

Dad turns to Lorelai and says, "You're on."