"Chuck, what's happening?" I asked calmly, though inside my stomach was starting to churn. I had an assumption of what was causing the havoc, and I knew I'd be thrown into it one way or another.

"She's awake!" Chuck yelled in response and confirming my hunch. "The girl's awake!"

Everyone wore looks of extreme panic on their faces. No one knew how to react, not even Alby. He stood frozen in what looked like fear, while Minho...I didn't even know.

Newt pulled me along with him before I knew what was happening. The Gladers' jumbled voices became louder the closer he brought me to the Homestead, making me have to shout over the noise.

"Where are we going?" I asked, though I already knew the answer. A pool of dread formed inside of me. I was intimidated by Teresa, that was for sure. After all, she came up with a scary note and said some scary things and then was in a coma-like state for weeks.

However, I knew I had to be gentle. Chances were she was manipulated by the Creators to do their bidding and would remember nothing when she finally woke.

Newt's eyes shifted to me for a second before locking on the Homestead. "You know."

He started pushing through the hoard, eyes squinted as elbows knocked into us and we were shoved around. His grip on my hand never loosened, and once he got to the steps he stood tall and proud above everyone else with me by his side.

"Hey!" he roared above the commotion, and instantly everyone was quiet. The voices shushed and everyone stood still, staring up at Newt with mixed looks of fright and anxiety. "I want everyone away from the bloody Homestead, now. I don't care where the shuck you go, just do not come near this building for an hour and a half, do you hear me?"

A weak chorus of, "Yes," followed, and the Gladers turned and spread out around the Glade.

Newt's expression stayed stony until the last boy left, and he turned and murmured, "Let's go."

He opened the door to the Homestead and climbed the stairs. It was dead silent aside from the creaking of floorboards against our feet and muffled voices from the end of the hallway. I could barely see because none of the lights were on for whatever reason.

My heart hammered in my chest, but I didn't think Newt could sense my nerves.

"Why am I talking to her?" I finally asked, my voice just above a whisper. "Why me? Why not Thomas, or Alby, or you, or anyone besides—"

Newt used my hand to spin me toward him and hold both of my wrists gently, brown eyes looking directly into mine. His face was barely illuminated by the windows at either end of the hall.

"Listen to me," he said, voice light as feathers. "I'm doing this because I believe in you, okay? I am one-hundred-shucking-percent positive that you can face her and show all those boys who think they rule over women that they are wrong. I'll still be there, but it's your time to shine. Not Thomas; he had his turn. Not Alby; he always has his. And not me. I'm not doing this because I want you to be scared. I'm doing it because I-"

He stopped short, mouth frozen. My eyebrows creased when he didn't continue, and I searched his eyes for any sign of fright or discomfort that caused him to stop. But I found nothing- it was as if he had shut all his emotions down and kept them locked away. I waited anxiously for what he had to say, my pulse quickening even more.

"-really care about you," he finally finished. Before I could dwell on what he could've said, he already leaned forward and pressed a kiss to my lips. He pulled away and moved his mouth to my ear, whispering, "You can do this."