~ The Rainforest Monster: Chapter 5 ~

Start from the beginning

"But Blaze's army wouldn't take us, and neither would Burn's," Jambu continued. "We'd never join Blister, not a single sane RainWing trusts her. So we tried to help them find a peaceful solution and end the war."

"Way to take our job," Tsunami grumbled.

The RainWings ignored her comment and went on. "We've even tried meeting with the NightWings, but they refuse to see us." Jambu snorted. "They're too mysterious and powerful to meet with the lazy dragons of Pyrrhia."

"I assume they won't edit the guide until after the war." Liana stretched. "Are you all ready?"

"I guess," Starflight murmured. "But if Dazzling isn't queen, who is?"

"Her sister, Queen Magnificent," Liana replied.

Glory and Starflight exchanged a look.

"Okay," Glory said. "Take us to the palace."

Liana eyed her like she was no smarter than a drowning bird. "We don't do palaces," she said. "They draw far too much attention."

"But why does that matter?" Starflight asked. "You've got a pretty good protection system set up."

"That doesn't mean we make ourselves look like easy targets," Liana snapped. "Now are you going to keep criticizing us, or can we go? The queen is waiting."

Liana took off and led them through the treetops. Jambu and the others stayed behind, keeping an eye on them as they flew away. The treehouse she led them to was not much different from all the others, although it was a bit higher and closer to the sun, with an open roof and five giant open windows in the curved outside walls. A short hanging walkway, glowing with fuchsia flowers shaped like dragon tongues, led from the doorway to another large platform.

As they landed, four other dragons flew down onto the platform. One was dark purple, the second was a dark burgundy color, and the last two were a tired couple. One was a light gray-ish brown and the other was navy blue. Their eyes widened in surprise when they saw the large group.

"Who are they?" the dark purple one asked.

"A group of dragons that Queen Magnificent wants to see," Liana said, stomping past him. The dragon hopped in front of her.

"Can't it wait?" he asked. "We really need to talk to the queen."

Liana bristled. "Mangrove, we're doing the best we can to find the missing dragons," she hissed. "Trust me, we're trying. But other problems occur, you know."

"Clearly not enough!" the brown one argued. "It's been six years since we lost our egg. Six. Years. And still nobody has found it!" The blue dragon grabbed her and pulled her close. She buried her snout into his shoulder. It looked like it was taking everything for her not to cry.

Hare glanced at Glory, who grew stiff in surprise. Six years... that was when Glory was stolen.

Mangrove nodded in agreement. "What could possibly be more important than finding my Orchid?" he demanded. "Or a couple missing apprentices? Or any of the dragons we've lost?"

"We're trying," Liana snarled. Shades of red began to flow through her scales and her ruff flared.

"It can wait, Mangrove," the other dragon said.

"You're only saying that because you don't actually care about finding Kinkajou," Mangrove argued.

"Of course I don't," the dragon snorted. "I just want my life back. It's not exactly fun having to be sent on a hundred search parties." Hare stared at her in shock. How could anyone say that?