1

Sometimes I feel like I'm grasping at straws, trying to hold on to my life while it slips ever farther away. It seems like everyone is leaving me lately -- first the twins, off to college, then their little brother Lewis, going to a music academy for the next two years, and finally Danny. I don't think I can hold myself together without them around me to tell me who I am.

The twins were easiest, if anyone was. For a few years now, since they started high school, they've been avoiding us -- realizing that it's uncool to hang out with their parents. It's just been us three, LisaDannyLewis, almost like the twins are KarlaandChristian, like we're two different sides of the family. Like teams in one of the mini soccer matches we had, back when the twins were little. But they've grown up now. We hardly saw them even before they left, even when we lived in the same house.

Lewis was harder. He's always been my little baby, the sweet little boy who looks out for his mother. Letting him go off to boarding school for the rest of junior high was like letting go of being a mom. He tells me it'll look good when he applies for college, and eventually I just sigh and let him have his way. I can't even think of sending my baby off to college this soon.

But Danny... Danny was the hardest. I had prepared for the children. I always knew they'd leave at some time. I thought Danny was the one thing I could depend on. He was always the one who made my life bearable -- more than that, he made it complete. Without Danny, I don't know who I am.

A/N: It's late, but I'm at camp all day. I'll try to update the next challenge soon!